Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had dental surgery 24 days ago and had 3 teeth removed, I…

Customer Question
I had dental surgery...

I had dental surgery 24 days ago and had 3 teeth removed, I was sedated. Last night I started coughing pretty hard and apart of a tooth flew into my hand, should I be worried about more

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

Probably a couple weeks but I've had congestion so I thought it was that, and I think I'm getting hot flashes that also started around the same time, but I attributed it to menopause starting

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

I have a heart murder, high blood pressure, and prediabetes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dental
11/25/2017
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 7 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

If you had aspirated parts of teeth when you were sedated,your coughing problems would have started immediately after the aspiration occurred. Is it possible that one of your teeth was broken and a piece came off while coughing or are you sure the piece came from your lungs? Can you upload a picture of the tooth fragment?

I checked all my other teeth, and they are fine. I'm not sure it came from my lungs or trachea, but it flew out of my mouth with force on the cough with congestion.

Are you positive that it is tooth structure?

Yes, even little bit of cavity. Will try to send puc

If it is tooth structure,to be sure there is nothing else in your lungs,it would be a good idea to have a chest X-ray to confirm that there are no more pieces there. This should all be at the expense of the dentist that extracted your teeth.Do you remember any coughing or irritation in your lungs just after the surgery?

Are you still with me?