Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

In feb 2017 I had a surgery to close an oro antral fistula…

Customer Question
Hi, in feb 2017 I...
Hi, in feb 2017 I had a surgery to close an oro antral fistula done by a maxillofacial surgeon. After a couple of follow-up appointment with him he concluded the case was a closed one (the closure successful and the healing totally normal) Since then, I've been suffering of sinus pain and discomfort while talking, nose bleeding sometimes. I decided to consult a specialist 2 months ago (ENT). He wanted me to have a sinuses CT scan. I had it last monday and I've had the result today in the morning. I'm concerned about those 2 sections of the report :- Maxillary sinuses : Minimal thickening on the right and indeed presence of oroantral fistula of 5mm in width in the region of the expected tooth number 16.
- Impression : Mild sign of bilateral ethmoid and right maxillary sinusitis and right oro antral fistula.So....does it mean that the oro antral fistula is still there or there's still a hole from my mouth to my sinus? OR they must write it in the report as a fact that they still see some signs there WAS an oro antral fistula? Im not aware of the radiologist rules and norms to produced those reports.Thanks in advance
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/24/2017
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 7 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

From the report,it seems as though there is some communication still between the mouth and the sinus in the area of the upper left wisdom tooth.The CT scan can detect that there is still an opening in the sinus that is communicating with your mouth. It would be reasonable to assume then that sinusitis is being sustained by this communication.