Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had my wisdom teeth out on Monday no real issues until a…

Customer Question
I had my wisdom...

I had my wisdom teeth out on Monday no real issues until a jagged piece of jaw bone erupted and is causing severe irritation to the underside of my tongue. What can I do to treat the tongue and cover the piece of bone that is causing the issue?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have any gum pain? Do you any discomfort in your jaw?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dental
11/24/2017
Dentist: Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist replied 8 months ago
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine

That would be a tall order if you're attempting to do this yourself. It's unlikely you could get a wad of soft orthodontic wax to stay in place (although you're welcome to try; this should be available for purchase over the counter at your local pharmacy). It's also not likely that an improvised barrier of a 2 x 2" gauze could stay there comfortably without causing you to gag.

Bone exposure is not uncommon after wisdom tooth extraction, and it can take several weeks for the bone to either fall out or become covered by gum tissue (which of these alternative paths is followed would depend on the vitality of the bone fragment). A more workable strategy would be to return to your oral surgeon so that the protruding piece of bone can be either clipped off and removed or rounded with a bone file. This would be considered part of normal postoperative care, and should not invoke additional charges.

Hope this helps...