Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

About two days, my gum got swollen and sore right beneath my…

Customer Question
About two days, my...

About two days, my gum got swollen and sore right beneath my lower back molar. The gum actually was around pea-size lump with a white bump last night. The tooth doesn't hurt except on the outside where it meets the gum. I don't know if this is something urgent like a dental emergency or I can wait until Monday after the holiday weekend.

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

No recent injuries that I can think of. The swelling has been going on for about two days and I started rinsing it with salt water last night and this morning. The swelling seems to go down at night while I am sleeping and gets worse during the course of the day. I did get a crown on the molar on the opposite side, and it seems like my bite might be slightly off on the side with the swollen gum.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

I am taking Plaquenil because I have rheumatoid arthritis, a mild case. Plaquenil is a immune suppressing drug, so it could inhibit my ability to fight off infection.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/22/2017
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 6 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Your description coincides with that of an abscessed tooth. This tooth either needs to be extracted or requires root canal treatment. It would be a good idea to started on antibiotic ASAP. Penicillin ,Amoxicillin or clindamycin are all good choices. The white dot in the middle represents a fistula or opening where the infection is draining through the bone into your mouth. Tooth abscesses should not be ignored. Most dental offices or oral surgeons offices have a 24 hour emergency number that you can call and have them phone in the antibiotic for you.

The swelling will go down when the fistula is under pressure and drains into your mouth.Then it will fill back up again . You may notice a bad taste in your mouth. If you have a fistula,this tooth has most likely been infected for some time. I would seek treatment ASAP . Do not bother going to the ER. They will provide no dental treatment. An urgent care center can write the prescription if you cannot get a dentist on the phone.

Thank you. I contacted my dentist's office and they phoned in a prescription for me for antibiotics and am making an appointment with the endodontist for next week.

Great. I hope that you feel better soon. When you get a chance,please leave a rating. We get no credit for our time without one . Thanks

Please leave a rating . Thanks

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)