Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have been seeing an endodonist and need to have a root…

Customer Question
I have been seeing...

I have been seeing an endodonist and need to have a root canal. I have been to see him 3 times since the end of September and he is saying that I still have too much infection to finish the root canal. Couldn't he just do surgery to get rid of the infection and bacteria? Is this normal- he says that my teeth had severe absesses

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?

Last Wednesday - there may still be a bit of swelling on the roof of my mouth.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have high blood pressure that I am being treated for.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dental
11/20/2017
Dentist: Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 5 months ago
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, there! In answer to your question about whether this is normal, I would say no. However, it sounds like you have an infection that is much worse than normal, so it certainly could be perfectly appropriate for your situation.

There is a surgery called an apicoectomy where the endodontist access the end of the root, where the infection is located, to treat it directly. This is a relatively invasive surgery which is typically used only as a last resort on a tooth that has had several root canals. It is not usually done before an initial root canal is ocmpleted.

Are you taking an antibiotic prescription? Aside from your high blood pressure, do you have any other health problems that could be making it hard for your immune system to fight this infection?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)