Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I️ recently had a lower left molar extracted (#19) and I am…

Customer Question
I️ recently had a...

I️ recently had a lower left molar extracted (#19) and I am noticing a yellowish greenish color forming inside and I also have slight pain in my ear and where it was extracted.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you experiencing any dizziness? Do you have a fever?

Yes dizziness I am not sure of a fever but I️ have frequent temperature changes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

14 weeks pregnant

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dental
11/19/2017
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 5 months ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, can you tell me how long ago you had the extraction?

Thanks.

Having discomfort in or around your ear is quite common following an extraction of a lower molar.

This is called referred pain and the nerves that are irritated because of the extraction will allow the pain to travel up into the head and sometimes down into the neck as well. Even upper teeth can hurt as well because of the referred pain. This is all normal.

What is not normal is becoming dizzy from an extraction unless it is immediately following the removal of the tooth.

Mild pain is not unusual following an extraction and it can last for 5-7 days while improving slowly. If you are not swollen or in severe pain then the color in socket is immaterial because it can become all sorts of colors as it heals. It is only a concern if there is pain, and a fever then an antibiotic would be needed but from your description that does not appear to be the case.

Being pregnant can also play a part in your dizziness. If you are steadily improving since the extraction then you need not worry.

There will be all sorts of colors forming in the socket as it heals! If it has been 24-48 hours since the extraction then you should be rinsing with warm salt water as well.

Does all this make sense to you?

Do you still need help with this issue?

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor