Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Recommendations for tooth abscess X2 when dentist or

Customer Question
Recommendations for tooth abscess...

Recommendations for tooth abscess X2 when dentist or antibiotics not available?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?

Absolutely chipmunk cheek. Two areas of swelling. Have expressed couple times today. Area softer but not really diminishing. Last saw dentist 12-16. Appt. next month but not locally.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Allergy to Compazine. Oral surgery to save teeth due to bone loss. 5 extractions over last two years.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dental
11/18/2017
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 5 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

It is important that you get started on an antibiotic right away. If no dentist is available,an urgent care center or any hospital can write a prescription for you. The more times that a tooth abscesses like this,the greater chance of you winding up in the hospital with massive facial swelling. This will lead to having a drain placed,scar formation,IV antibiotics and a big hospital bill. I know that this is not what you want to hear but these infections are dangerous and on occasion can lead to death if you become septic. Most dentists and oral surgeons have a 24 hour emergency line so that they can call in a prescription for penicillin,amoxicillin or clindamycin. No other medication will take the swelling down because your face is full of pus and the antibiotic is the only thing that will fight it.The antibiotics are only temporary. The tooth needs to be extracted or the abscess will return.

Do you have anything for pain?

Is there some other information that you need?

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)