Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had to dental implants put in a month ago. The dentist…

Customer Question
I had to dental...

I had to dental implants put in a month ago. The dentist said that it seemed as though it wasn't draining. I apologize it was an endodontist. So they opened it up and wanted to put healing caps on it. She told me that she was able to put it on one but the other one had an infection and the bone did not take the implant. Is this a common issue? She said it might have attributed to a tooth beforehand that we did not realize might have some issues that was hard to detect. She put extra bone in and told me I have to wait 3 months for that to take. She wants to charge me for half of the cost of the implant and not give me a refund on the one that didn't take. What is common procedure with this and can this happen?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?

No. A visit to the Dr that put in the implants?

Doctor's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

What information do you need?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dental
11/17/2017
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 8 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Implants are not supposed to drain.Did they place the implants as soon as the tooth was extracted?A common issue these days is dentists placing implants when they have little or minimal training.It is not your fault that the implant did not take.The dentist should have adequately evaluated the area prior to placing the implant. Most infections occur because of improper technique and inexperience. If the implant did not take after a month,you should be due a full refund. This dentist is clearly out for your money.Were implants your only option? Did she discuss bridgework with you?