Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have what looks like 2 canker sores on my upper right

Customer Question
I have what looks...

I have what looks like 2 canker sores on my upper right gumline . The smaller one is right near my wisdom tooth, and next to it, is a hard painless “lump” the same color as my gums. What could this lump be? An abscess?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you experiencing any swelling? Do your gums bleed when you brush or floss?

It bleeds a little around my wisdoms if I floss hard No swelling

Doctor's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

So I have one canker sore near my first regular molar, and I have another (what looks to be) very small canker near my wisdom tooth. Above my wisdom tooth (above where it sticks out) is a hard almost bone like mass under my gum. What could this hard lump be?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dental
11/16/2017
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 8 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

A hard lump covered by normal gum tissue is most likely a torus.Tori come in many shapes and sizes and they are termed either mandibular tori ,maxillary tori or palatal tori depending where they are. They are harmless benign boney growths that require no treatment. They are common and are considered normal. An abscess would most likely be soft .

you do not suspect an abscess?
Dentist: Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 8 months ago
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Good morning! I was able to view your photo, and I can see both the canker sores and the hard lump area you mentioned. The hard area on the area of your gums above the teeth and facing your cheek are called exostoses (which is the name for a torus like Dr. Katz was describing, but in a different location). The exostosis is an overgrowth of bone, and is a relatively benign lesion. It can be caused by heavy teeth grinding, or sometimes by genetic influences. They should not change much. If anything, they may get slightly larger over time. As long as you keep all of your teeth, there is no need to do anything about them. If you ever lost all of your teeth and needed dentures, the exostoses would have to be removed by an oral surgeon so that you could wear dentures. Hopefully that won't ever be the case.

I do not suspect an abscess in this area at all.

Do you have any other questions for me?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara