Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

The inner lining in my mouth above my upper lip keeps

Customer Question
The inner lining in...

The inner lining in my mouth above my upper lip keeps peeling and has for a long time. What can be done to stop it

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?

No good teeth, started a long time ago when I took a diuretic and never got healed.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No take not meds

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dental
11/16/2017
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 8 months ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, sorry this is happening to you because it can be very annoying.

A dry mouth is usually responsible for your symptoms.

THE MOST COMMON CAUSES OF DRY MOUTH ARE DEHYDRATION, SINUS INFECTIONS AND ALLERGIES. Other causes of dry mouth could be medications used for stress, anxiety, depression, allergies, hypertension, diabetes, antihistamines (Benadryl), decongestants, diet pills, sleeping pills, etc.

Biotene is the most prescribed medication for this problem and it is available over the counter at any drugstore. This is the website for it: http://www.biotene.com/

Oracoat: XYLIMELTS is also an excellent choice: http://www.oracoat.com

Other OTC saliva substitutes include Moi-Stir, Optimoist, Mouthkote and Salivart.

Also, prescription medications like Salagen and Evoxac help produce more saliva to combat the dryness. Basic Bites Soft Chews at basic bites.com is another new product for dry mouth.

You can also try using sugar free gums and candies to help with the dryness.

Try to drink at least 8-10 glasses of water each day to stay properly hydrated.

Dry mouth could also be from an auto-immune disease called Sjogren”s Syndrome.

Smoking, chewing tobacco, and caffeine can also irritate dry mouth. A deviated septum will also cause dehydration. You should also avoid mouthwashes and alcohol which are also a contributing factor.

So you can see there are many possible reasons for your situation but staying hydrated and/or taking one of the saliva substitutes seems to help.

I hope this answers your question?

Did you need more information?

Are you still there?