Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Yesterday, my front top two teeth were bumped very hard by…

Customer Question
Hi. Yesterday, my front...

Hi. Yesterday, my front top two teeth were bumped very hard by the back of my son's head as he was lifting his head back and after the initial pain subsided (after first 10 minutes), they felt numb and continue to feel numb. Should I wait and see what happens or go see an endodontist to have them evaluated?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

The only injury has been the impact/trauma from the back of my son's head. There is no pain when I leave the teeth alone, but I can feel a numb sensation. Additionally, if the teeth are touched by my tongue or by food, they are sensitive (aches a little).

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

I have never had cavities or any issues with these particular front teeth. I have had root canals and cavities involving my back molars.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dental
11/16/2017
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 5 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Are the teeth mobile at all?Do you see any noticeable displacement of the teeth?

The teeth do not seem to move at all nor have they been displaced and do not appear cracked. When I tap on one of them, there is a little sensation of pain/sensitivity -- it is similar to pain I have felt for a back tooth with an aggravated nerve or abscess (these are teeth that needed root canals). The other tooth just feels numb. I am planning to see my endodontist this afternoon if she can squeeze me into her schedule but I wanted another opinion just for my reassurance.
My credit card information does not seem to be going through. Anyhow, thanks for your help.

There is no reason to see an endodontist at this point. Save your money and your time.

You have only traumatized the periodontal ligament and it is way too early to see anything on the X-ray that would give any evidence of needing root canal therapy.

It would be normal to have the symptoms that you are having at this point and they could last a few more days. The pain that you are having is coming from the ligament around the tooth and not the tooth itself. Root canal therapy would not take this pain away. It just heals on its own. There is no need to worry.If your endodontist is honest,he will tell you the same thing.

Thank you. The endodontist told me the same thing. An x-ray did show detachment of one tooth from the ligament but she said there is a chance it will heal on its own so long as I leave it alone and let it heal.

Good I was hoping to save you the trip but I was not fast enough. These things will heal. The bone keeps the teeth pretty stable. Unless the teeth are displaced,they are usually going to be fine.

When you get a chance,could you please leave a rating? We get no credit for our time without one . Thanks

Please leave a rating.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)