Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I don't know where to begin it a story but I had

Customer Question
I don't know where...

I don't know where to begin it a long story but I had extractions, then I had to have oral surgy to smooth out the boney parts, that par is healing and I still have problem with boney parts with pain I wear a
first denture in the upper, thats where Im having the problem. when the gum is irrated he dentist I'mgoing to hopes Idont have to have another surgery he says the upper portion. but because I had a lot of infection before that a previous didn't catch on previous films.and had to have lots of antibiotics My question is can their be something wrong with the bone under the gum and can I have surgery for the third time in the same places

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

When my dentures rubs on the areas.and when chewing

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

I let him know that my concern was I had alot of infection and now I have swollan lymp nodes under arm pits

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dental
11/15/2017
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 8 months ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, very sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble with your dentures and having to have additional surgery to smooth out more areas of your bone. Dentures do take several visits that require adjustments in order to avoid and repair any high spots that rub and cause pain and minor infections. I assume that your surgeries are done by an Oral Surgeon. Is that correct?

Can you also tell me if this is your first full denture as well or did you have partial dentures before?

my surgeries were done by 2 different oral surgeons, this is my first immediate denture I don't have the denture yet.the bottom teeth are mine, my question is can I have a disease in the bone where I have pain because I had an infection in that area from the last October to July when I had the extraction. so in my mind I,m wondering if that infection could be in the bone.

Thanks for the added information.

Immediate denture are notoriously poor fitting and always cause more trauma because the tissues under them are very tender and fragile. I tend to believe that you really do not have infections under the bone if the surgeries were done by oral surgeons and the problem is most likely due to the immediate denture which never does fit as well as the permanent denture that will be made. The immediate denture is a guess by the dentist when it is made but that that is not the case for the final product.

Your oral surgeon will be able to tell you if there is any infection present but my guess is that it is simple trauma from the immediate denture. The sooner you heal and get your final denture the sooner you will be comfortable and pain free.

I would just keep having your dentist adjust the area of the immediate denture until you are comfortable and this can take several visits so do not feel you are bothering the dentist by asking for another adjustment. Any experienced dentist knows that the immediate denture is always a problem and that the problem is most likely the fit and not infections!!

Does all this make sense to you?

I understand about the immediate denture My concern is about the areas that stick out to the gum and I just had an adjustment to the immediate. I think you did a job with the opinion.I don't know if I made a clear picture of what I was trying to say.
done

The areas that "stick out" are supposed to be moderate and smooth so that the gum tissue can cover the bone with with enough thickness to properly support the denture. Most times if you keep needing surgeries to correct these outcroppings it is because either bone spicules keep erupting or not enough bone was trimmed to begin with because infections in the bone do not last for months without causing severe problems which I do not believe you had. Is that correct?

Or am I not understanding what your problem really is?

If you are continuing to have issues with the upper final denture then it is a fit issue or maybe you need a soft liner to support the denture in order to increase your comfort?