Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

If you have toothe enamel that is worn are your teethe in…

Customer Question
If you have toothe...

If you have toothe enamel that is worn are your teethe in pain?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Not my question if you have worn enamel on your teethe are you in any pain

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dental
11/15/2017
Dentist: Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 5 months ago
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, there! In answer to your question, No, not necessarily. Some enamel is worn away so slowly over time hat the tooth build up the core structure of the tooth (called dentin) to protect the nerve so that they don't feel sensitive. But honestly, I have seen everything. I have seen teeth with very little damage cause a lot of sensitivity for a person, and then the complete opposite, where extreme wear to the enamel seems to cause no symptoms at all. It may depend on the person as well.

Does that answer your question? Have you been told you have worn enamel?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Its for my dog. my vet told me the dark area on her back teethe was worn enamel. scheduled a visit with a vet dentist that is not until dec 14. this is not a new issue. but it was one that i was ignorant too. and i don't know what worn enamel would feel like. dental pain is miserable i have experience my own issues. i can guess and put my own assumptions that she has been careful with what she eats her toys she plays with are softer latex. she doesn't cry and whimper. she always had what i called a play growl. but maybe she is in more discomfort than i am aware of. so i wanted to know if worn enamel cause pain and if so. i would do more to find a another vet dentist hopefully equal to the the one recommended.If there is anythign more you could tell me it be helpful.

That is a tough one, because like you said, it's hard to tell if a dog is in pain. If your dog will let you put your fingers inside his mouth, you can try to touch the darkened areas to see if it bothers him. Is the dog very old?

If it is generalized wear from aging, I would expect it to not be painful. If it is an area where enamel has sheared off, that could be painful for him. Did your vet recommend that your dog have dental work done on his worn teeth?

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)