Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I got my partial dentures about on month ago. When I wear…

Customer Question
I got my partial...

I got my partial dentures about on month ago. When I wear them they seem to be ok but whlen I take out at night my jaw on the right side is soo out of alignment that I have to put them back in to stop the pain in my jaw. What is happening?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

My name is*****: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

The lower partial is what is cauing my jaw to be out of aligment or out of joint

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/14/2017
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 8 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

The most likely cause for you discomfort is that your partials have not been adjusted properly to your bite and they are not letting you close down to the original position of your jaw closure. The partials need to be adjusted because they are affecting the temporomandibular joint located just in front of your ears.The partials have changed your "vertical dimension" and when they are removed,your jaw returns to the position it was in prior to having them inserted. There is no reason that you cannot sleep with them. The important thing is that you rinse them off after eating.You should return to your dentist that made the partials and make sure that the bite is adjusted carefully.It normally takes 3 or 4 post insertion appointments to get the partials to fit just right.The Temporomandibular joint is controlled by ligaments attached to the skull and jawbone and is extremely sensitive to any changes in pressure caused by the way your lower jaw aligns with the upper jaw.