Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have had a strange sensation in the side of my tongue for…

Customer Question
Hello. I have had...

Hello. I have had a strange sensation in the side of my tongue for about a year now. Not really a pain but feels like I've scratched it a bit. I wear an upper denture with a metal plate so originally I thought it was that that was scratching my tongue but I had a new denture fitted about 6 months ago and the feeling is still there. The side of the tongue that experiences the strange feeling is a little bit raised and it may be slightly red but I may be imagining it. I've been to the dentist about it a few times and he says he can't see anything bad there but surely it isn't normal for the tongue to feel like this for a year, is it?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

The first time I remember being conscious of it was August 2016. I thought it was my denture but I had another one fitted six months ago and I still experience it. Taking the denture out used to make it feel better but now it doesnt make any difference really.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

I'm not really sure- like what?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dental
11/13/2017
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 7 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.Are you missing any teeth on the lower arch or are you wearing a partial or denture on the lower?

Do you have any fractured teeth or any teeth that need repair on the lower? Can you upload a picture of the area of the tongue that is sore and include a view of the teeth adjacent to the tongue in that area?

I am missing my top front four teeth. No fractured teeth but one molar adjacent to the sore bit of the tongue is a bit pointy (I wouldn't say sharp). Apologies- I just tried to take a photo but the area is so far back that I cannot get a good shot of it. The sore area is a bit raised compared with the other side- maybe a bit redder but I'm not sure because both sides of my tongue at the back are a bit redder than the front part

Are there any missing bottom teeth? Are there any irregular areas on the upper partial denture? Do you have a habit of playing with the upper partial denture with your tongue?

Any picture of the inflamed area on the tongue would help.

I am going to be on the road for a bit. I will check back with you when I return home from my office.

The denture does have a bit of a sharp edge IF I play around with it but,as I say, I've been experiencing this feeling for over a year (and with a different denture) so surely it isn't the denture that's causing it? Attached is the best photo I could take- realise it's not great but you can kind of see the raised part and it does look a bit red

No picture came up. Can you try sending it again. The most likely cause is something going on with the lower teeth. You have not mentioned yet if you are missing any lower teeth.

I need to see a picture of the tongue to be able to give you a more accurate answer.

Is the photo there now? I have no lower teeth missing.

The photo came through but it is pretty much washed out by the light. Can you give it another try? Is the sharp area on your tooth adjacent to the sore area on your tongue?

Sorry I just can't get a better picture- it eithe rcomes out too light or too dark- but yes the sharp tooth is adjacent to the sore part

That is most likely the cause of your problem. The irritation from the sharpness is a constant source of disruption of the tissues on the tongue. Your problem can most likely be solved in a few seconds by having your dentist buff this area down. Once that is done,the irritation will stop and your tongue will be back to normal within 6 days.