Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

In addition to veneers or crowns for tetracycline teeth,

previously we talked about a...
In addition to veneers or crowns for tetracycline teeth, previously we talked about a bonding technique using a composite resin. The dentist here use 3M Filtek Z350XT. Is this a good one? also they said they can use porcelain as well. what do you think
11/13/2017
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

3M Filtek Z350XT is an excellent nanofill restoration with a long lasting life span and it being a 3M product makes it very reliable with an excellent track record. I do however, believe that porcelain will last longer but it is much more costly to use.

Both products will give excellent results but the 3M needs to be used by an experienced dentist to get a comparable result. :):)

I might add that a bulk fill resin composite (Tetric EvoCeram Bulk Fill [TB]) appears to have "better clinical performance in terms of marginal discoloration and marginal adaptation".

There are many resins out there that are ok to use and all of them are less expensive than using porcelain!! :):)

what is Tetric EvoCeram Bulk Fill [TB]. is it better than Porcelain?i don't mind the costs. if porcelain is better. i am not in show biz so I don't need any hollywood white teeth. but i do want it to be white enough to cover the tetracycline grey. and I like the color to stay for at least 3 years before I have to go redo this again.mainly though: is porcelain more durable -can i eat apple or sunflower seeds or chewing gum.
what are common porcelain brands i should look for?

The Tetric is another type of bonding material and there are many more available and each dentist decides which product they like to use but they are all essentially the same. None of the bonding materials are better than porcelain fused to metal.

Any bonding material use should last for at least 5-10 years without having to be redone and some even last longer.

Porcelain is more durable but you can eat all the things you wish with either material without fear of anything.

If you are ok with it lasting for minimum of 3 years then you I would just do the bonding and move on!! :):)

i am a bit confused. porcelain fused with metal is for crowns, right?
is the porcelain bonding (not crown) better compared to other bonding material, in that it is more durable and better in color (to hide tetracycline??

Yes, porcelain fused to metal are for crowns.\

Porcelain fillings and composite fillings are similar and some dentists prefer porcelain over composites but both are bonded restorations.

Heere is a good article about the two materials: https://www.marzbandds.com/white-porcelain-fillings/

The best and longest lasting restoration is the crown!! PF

Another article for you to read: https://www.clevelandsmiles.com/blog/procedures/pros-and-cons-ceramic-fillings/

Since you want to bond and not crown then you need to decide which type of material you wish to have.

Each dentist will tell you what their experience is with both materials and then you decide!! :):)

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor