Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

From time to time years now and of now a lot of smearing…

Customer Question
HI there, from time to...
HI there, from time to time years now and of now a lot of smearing pain in my mouth and teeth while I eat food drinking juice and blended protein powder is fine. I ve been grinding my teeth and biting my cheeks for years, so
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dental
11/12/2017
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 5 months ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, thanks for posting your question today.

What you are describing is most likely a result of some bone loss exposing the root surfaces of your teeth which can cause the exact symptoms you are describing. People who are grinders and clenchers will develop over time issues involving sensitivity to the ligaments that surround the teeth that leads to your symptoms. Biting of your cheeks and grinding can all be helped with a mouth guard and bite adjustments by your dentist. I suggest you call your dentist and be evaluated for a mouth guard and for any bone loss as well. If the sensitivity is an annoying issue for you you can try some toothpastes especially formulated to help with the sensitivity. The most popular brands are:

Sensodyne or Colgate's Durophat or http://www.colgatesensitiveprorelief.com/EN/products/toothpaste

Sensodyne True White- low abrasive whitening and sensitivity care at the same time:

http://www.sensodyne.co.uk/products/sensodyne-products/sensodyne-true-white.aspx

Another great product is Crest Sensi-Stop Strips. These strips contain oxalate which coats the cementum (root surface).

I hope this answers your question. If you need more information please ask. Thanks.

Are you still there?

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor