Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Had right rear second molar extracted on nov. 2. Now have…

Customer Question
Please. Had right...

Please. Had right rear second molar extracted on nov. 2. Now have dry socket but, more worrisome is exposed jawbone where gum tissue split over sharp inner jaw bone. Terrified of infection. Dentist said it will heal. Periodontist said exposed jaw bone will have to be filed down and may not heal for months. What is proper way to heal open bone wound? Should I see an oral surgeon? Thank you. *****: When was your last visit to the dentist? Any irregular checkups?

Last week and no

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

Had thinning gums from a severe illness and diagnosed with osteoporosis. Immune system not the best either.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you experiencing any swelling? Do your gums bleed when you brush or floss?

Yes

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dental
11/12/2017
Dentist: Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 8 months ago
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, there! I'm so sorry to hear you're having this complication. Without seeing the area of exposed you're talking about, I would have to agree with the periodontist, that it probably needs some treatment.

There are areas of bone exposure that can heal themselves, but they are very small. The fact that you know it's there makes it unlikely for it to be very small. A periodontist or an oral surgeon could do the procedure necessary to cover the exposed bone.

As far as warding off infection, do some very gentle mouthrinses (no vigorous swishing or spitting) with warm salt water.

Did you see anyone about the dry socket?

Dr. Lara