Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had a crown come off while eating breakfast this morning.

Customer Question
My dentist is closed until...
I had a crown come off while eating breakfast this morning. My dentist is closed until Monday or maybe Tuesday depending if Monday is a holiday. I got an emergency dentist to look at it telling him I wanted the crown put back on until I could get to my own dentist. He insisted I had to have a root canal and refused to do anything temporary. Question is what will happen if I wait until Monday or even Tuesday to see my own dentist. I was not comfortable allowing this dentist to do a root canal as I knew nothing about him and he didn't even give me his name just went under the emergency clinic name. I am even suspicious a root canal isn't even needed but, if it is, I want to be told by my regular dentist who I trust. Is it unwise that I have let this go and how should I proceed if it is OK to wait.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dental
11/12/2017
Dentist: Just Dental Truths!, Dentist replied 9 months ago
Just Dental Truths!

No! You are being very prudent and smart Sir! If I were in your shoes I would have done the same thing...

My suggestion: If you can leave it off; due to no real tenderness being present, that is fine. If you want to put it on "temporarily", you can purchase some Fixodent" at Walmart or any CVS, etc., and put a dab of such inside the crown, then place the crown on your tooth, and it generally stays on fairly decent for a couple days, yet your regular Dentist can get it off easily this forth coming week, and evaluate your needs!

I hope you don't need a root canal. But even if you did, I think your being very pragmatic to hear it from a Dental personnel whom you trust! You make wise decisions!

Dr. Rampton

Does the above make sense?