Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I was at the dentist yesterday with very mild hardly

Customer Question
Hi I was at the...
Hi I was at the dentist yesterday with very mild hardly noticeable pain in my chin area, I asked him to X-ray he found an abscess.
Anyway he opened up the back of the tooth & pushed some wire in a few times & a whiteish cloudy liquid & fitted a temp filling on the back.
He said the liquid should take away the infection & they would perform a root canel in 2 weeks.
He didn’t want to prescribe antibiotics as reassured me i would be ok but I asked him too.
Anyway this morning I’ve woken up in absolute agony! My gum line in swelling & very tender & so so painful.
I’m on my 3rd 500mg amoxicillin tablet today but nothing is easing off & they only gave me 5 x days worth.
I don’t know what to do?
I can’t have a root canel until the 24th of November as they are busy! But I’m in so much pain right now I’d rather have my teeth pulled.
I am also due to go away for holiday on 25th of November :( any advice?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dental
11/10/2017
Dentist: Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 1 month ago
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, there! I'm so sorry to hear you are having so much pain. Did they give you a prescription for anything for pain in addition to the antibiotics?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Also, a little light at the end of the tunnel: antibiotics take 24-48 hours to get to a concentrated level in your bloodstream and really start working. This means by your 4-6th dose, you should start noticing an improvement.

If you were not given anything for pain, I can advise you on a dosage schedule of some over-the-counter medications to take to help cut down on the pain.

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)