Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

When I smile and fully extend lower jaw, my upper and lower…

Customer Question
When I smile and fully...
When I smile and fully extend lower jaw, my upper and lower teeth meet and smile looks like this (atached photo). What is your opinion on this? I think my ortho pushed my upper front teeth too much inside...
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dental
11/10/2017
Dentist: Dr Matthew Kremser, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 5 months ago
Dr Matthew Kremser
Dr Matthew Kremser, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi- glad to help you today. Do you have a picture of your teeth in a relaxed, normal bite? Generally, we don't evaluate ortho results and/or need for orthodontics with a protrusive or forward bite. Also, why are you worried about the alignment in this forward position?

Thanks for the extra info!

My upper and lower front teeth meet. If pushed harder, front teeth would probably crack.

Well, from the picture of the normal biting position, your occlusion/placement of the front (anterior)teeth looks ideal. You have ideal overbite- your top teeth should be in front of your lowers but the lowers should be touching them- and ideal overjet, the amount that the front top teeth cover the lower front teeth.

You ideally should not have space between your front top and bottom teeth

I see. Fells somewhat uncomfortable at times, but glad things look ideal. Thanks for the info.

Sounds like you might be a grinder/clencher. Consider wearing your retainers during the day and see if you can train yourself to stop protruding your lower jaw! Glad to help- let me know if you have any other concerns before you rate my response!

Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine