Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I was recently at the dentist and got a filling put in my…

I was recently at the...
I was recently at the dentist and got a white filling put in my back tooth at the bottom. since then, i can't bite down properly and when I try to, i get a sharp pain in the tooth. is the filling too high? and how would my dentist file it down? will it require anastheitc and would it hurt?
11/9/2017
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, you are absolutely correct that the new filling has not had the bite properly adjusted so that when you bite you do not prematurely contact this tooth first. Once this is properly adjusted the discomfort will be gone and the process is painless and no anesthetic is needed. It takes a couple of minutes to do this. Really not a big issue!! Just call your dentist and they will get you in right away to do this. :):)

I hope this answers your question.

Root Canal Doctor
I got my filling drilled down about 2 hours ago and it feels better but after i left the dentist I noticed that the silver filling i got yesterday felt a little high, not as bad as the other one but still kinda abnormal. the new silver filling is below 2 old snd 1 new silver filling so could that be causing the weird feeling and could it go away within the next week? my whole mouth also feels sensitive and sometimes painful.

When a dentist equilibrates your mouth and adjusts a new filling they are supposed to check your entire bite and adjust accordingly.

If the discrepancy in the bite is not too extensive then your jaw muscles will adjust and if the discomfort continues you will have to return for another adjustment. Hopefully your dentist is not young and new because it does take some experience to do the equilibration properly especially after new fillings are placed. Hopefully your jaw will adjust on its own. Give it a week and then decide!!

Good luck. :):)

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor