Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had 2 molars pulled on the bottom left jaw. 1 by a office…

Customer Question
I had 2 molars...

I had 2 molars pulled on the bottom left jaw. 1 by a office dentist and the other one by an oral surgeon about 3 months ago. About 1.5 months ago, I got a white bump on the internal aspect of the bottom gum. This was accompanied by a white fluid filled pocket at the extraction site. I was seen by a new dentist due to new insurance and he took trays and claimed "I don't know what that is." About a week later I was in mild discomfort, and used forceps and pulled out appx 6mil piece of something that appears barbed and calcified. Now about a week later, I now have two bumps with what appears to be calcified material and I'm starting to get nervous. Im experiencing no pain but am discomfort. I use Listerine, an anti-inflamnatory oral mouthwash AND chlorahexadine (All) BID. This doesn't feel 100% like bone but I guess it could be. Also, why would it reappear in the same spot twice in addition to a new site? What is this? Thanks in advance

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Pulling the object.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/7/2017
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 9 months ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, sorry you are experiencing this now.

What you are describing are bony spicules that were not removed during the extraction and they will slowly work their way out and come to the surface. When they do they can be removed very easily by your dentist if you are unable to remove it yourself. These are just shards of bone (spicules) that often break off from the bony socket and are not totally removed and it can take months or longer to appear or some just never work their way out. Nothing to worry about because it is quite normal but annoying! I hope this answers your question?

I might also add that this can also occur with broken tooth fragments if the tooth was not removed in its entirety due to cracks and fractures.

Do you need more information?

Are you still there?