Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

In August my new dentist recommended that the hygienist

In August my new...

In August my new dentist recommended that the hygienist perform a series of root planning and scalings. For this he prescribed the antibiotic Clindamycin, 300 mg, to be taken for 7 days, 4 times a day. I didn't know when to start taking it, but when I went in for the first procedure the hygienist said I could start that day. Four days later I got diarrhea. It subsided a few days after I finished taking it, and I thought I was okay. However, a couple of weeks later I got diarrhea in the middle of the night and fainted twice. My husband took me to the emergency room where I fainted again and was diagnosed with C. Diff. I was admitted to the hospital where I remained for 8 days and was treated with Vancomycin. I finished up the Vancomycin about a week after returning home, but 10 days later the diarrhea returned. I was placed on another round of Vanco with a taper this time. I will complete it in December. I have searched the Internet but have been unable to find any situation where it is appropriate to prescribe an antibiotic for any prophylactic dental procedure. At the most, they recommend one dose, one hour before the procedure, that is in the most extreme of health-risk cases. And not to have a second dose.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a dentist about this yet?

My first question is: Is there any situation where such a long and extreme regimen of antibiotic should be used for a prophylactic dental procedure?

Doctor's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

My second question is: Where did my dentist find the instructions to prescribe an antibiotic for 7 days, 4 times per day?

I wrote the dentist and the hygienist letters, mailed separately, telling them what happened about the C. Diff and my hospitalization, and they have not called or written. So the dentist was informed.
I have not seen another dentist. I have only seen doctors about my C. Diff infection. That is my concern now.
At the third visit with the hygienist, she was very happy with the improvement in my gums. She said the diarrhea was very common. In fact, she brought it up first and asked me how my "tummy" was before I even mentioned it.
The hygienist said this was a NEW procedure. In addition to the root planning and scaling, it includes "home care" with use of a Waterpik and GUM Paroex solution every night. **Can you tell me what company or organization has developed this procedure?
I would like to see IN WRITING where some credited organization recommends the prescribing of 7 days of antibiotics at 4 times per day.
11/5/2017
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

There is no procedure where you need to be placed on a systemic antibiotic for 7 days prior to the procedure. Are you allergic to penicillin? What was the reason that they gave you for starting the antibiotics in the first place? Did you have swelling prior to the procedure?

Clindamycin is used with caution because of the increased incidence of C. Diff infections. It is used only in cases of severe infections or when there is an allergy to penicillin in the case of severe infection.Prophylactic use of antibiotics in dentistry is limited to a few situations mostly involving heart valves and prosthetic joints but never is given for 7 days prior.There is no new procedure for cleaning the teeth. The hygienist was just giving you a line.

Is there any other information that you need? I am not sure if I have dealt with all of your concerns.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
I supposedly am allergic to penicillin so I have never been given it. But the dentist and the hygienist said antibiotics were part of the routine. The hygienist took a specimen and sent it to a lab called Hain Diagnostics for a test called "DNA test for periodontopathogenic marker bacteria." I am looking at the report, and it says, "SRP and may include topical antiseptics, topical or systemic antibiotics. An adjunctive antibiotic administration (scenario 3: Clindamycin: 4 x 300 mg/day, 7 days) may also be considered based upon clinical findings and patient's medical history." So that's what I took, as instructed. I trusted him. He never discussed the risks of such a lenthy and concentrated regimen of antibiotics. In fact I never even saw him again after the initial exam. Yes, you have dealt with all my concerns. Thank you.

The mouth is full of bacteria all of the time. It is unreasonable to think that giving an antibiotic for bacteria in the mouth will solve any problem . It will only cause an imbalance. This dentist should be reported for his casual use of antibiotics without justification. I am a trained Microbiologist and my daughter is an infectious disease specialist at Johns Hopkins hospital. This type of flagrant misuse of antibiotics needs to be reported. This type of behavior leads to the growth of resistant strains and causes problems for the entire population.I would urge you to contact the dental board of your state and let them know what this dentist is doing. It is outside the realm of good medical judgement.

Thank you, ***** ***** I will definitely report him to the State Board of Dentistry in California.

Good ,this type of thing is bad for everyone.