Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Well I went to the dentist today to get a deep cleaning...I…

Customer Question
Well I went to...

Well I went to the dentist today to get a deep cleaning...I was there for 2 hopes and didn't even get my teeth cleaned...I have braces and they took some x rays and took me they think I have cavities between all my teeth but they aren't sure if they are cavities or burn outs because of the braces... does this happen with people who have braces... I've never really had teeth problems... there aren't any cavities on top of my teeth but on my bottom gum line of my front teeth there are some dark spots from calcification I think and they were going to clean it but did nothing but give me all kinds of stress about how bad my teeth might be and I am wondering if braces cause issues with xrays

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?

I haven't noticed any...my ortho said they did last week but I had brushed my teeth 2 times in a few hours so I wasn't sure if I brushed to hard that morning... they don't look swollen to me

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

Not that I'm aware of

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dental
11/1/2017
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 6 months ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, if the Xrays were inconclusive then new films adjusting the exposure would be necessary. The Xrays can be taken to create a gray scale as opposed to a black or darker scale that are better suited for root canals. Is the dentist your regular dentist or is a new dentist? How long have you been wearing the braces and how old are you?

What did your orthodontist tell you last week? Please let me know.

This is a new dentist...I'm 26 and for 8 months...all my orthodontist said was to go get a deep cleaning because of the calcification under 2 of my bottom teeth and my gums looked a little puffy down there...it happened when my teeth moved down because they used to overlap a little and were crowded and pushed up... but she looked at the x rays and didn't say anything about any cavities or issues when looking at them.

Thanks. First i suggest you go to another dentist who has been practicing for at least 10 years!

I believe a second opinion is exactly what you need and I am pretty certain things are not as bad as what you were told.

Calcification can be a problem but is easily taken care of and is not really a huge problem.

Puffy gums while wearing braces is common and you should be using a water pik daily as part of your oral hygiene. The water lavage is exactly what is needed and is recommended for all patients with braces!

Do you have a copy of the Xrays?

No I don't have a copy... they also told me my bones were getting shorter and I needed root canals and that hopefully I'd have all my teeth by the end of it... it was a terrible experience... they didn't even look in my mouth for more than 30 seconds... they just kept saying I need to take my braces off to get a cleaning and to see if their ideas are right

WOW! This is exactly why you should run and not walk and find a new experienced dentist!

I find the entire diagnosis implausible especially given you are symptom free!!

Please do not go back and have them remove your brackets/braces and find another older dentist who has a good track record.

If you cannot find one on your own ask the Orthodontist who he likes or call any Oral Surgeon or Endodontist and ask the receptionist for the names of some good dentists. You do not need to speak to the Dr's because the front desk people know who the good ones are. Does all this make sense to you?

it does...I made a new Appointment today after leaving their office but I've been thinking my teeth are going to fall out of my head ever since and it's stressing me out so I was curious if braces cause a common misconception like this

I hope you did not make a new appointment with her!!!

Your teeth will NOT fall out so there is no reason to worry about that. If you have extensive bone loss due to gum disease that would evident on an Xray which I doubt given your age.

Braces do not cause this "misconception" you mention when you are properly maintained and treated by a competent orthodontist and maintained by a good dentist who has experience in dealing with patients that have braces.

There is no need for you to worry just find a competent dentist and then review the findings with your orthodontist.

The dentist and orthodontist should be speaking to each other concerning your case on a regular basis anyway in order to be sure that everything is maintained properly! That is what professional do for their patients!

You will NOT lose your teeth so please do not worry about that, at all!! OK?

Do you need more information?

Are you still there?

Hi, have you decided not to continue our conversation?

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor