Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I had a root canal done last year on a lower molar. While

Customer Question
out to dinner recently with...
I had a root canal done last year on a lower molar. While out to dinner recently with my family, I felt like I had bitten down on rocks. Actually that same tooth fractured. I visited my DDS who told me the tooth had shattered and needed to be pulled and a bone graft placed. I did this with the referred oral surgeon. Gave me Antibiotics which I am still taking. This was Tuesday. After Novocain wore off I was in screaming pain. Took ibuprofen and Norco, with only small temporary relief. By Weds. my face and neck swelled to huge proportions. Terrible headaches and pain. Worse or same on Thurs. now I began getting pieces of the graft appearing in my mouth. Still in unbelievable pain. Taking max meds. Friday only slightly better, but more pieces of graft appearing in my mouth. Over weekend, more graft pieces. Pain still there, swelling down. Does all of this seem normal?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dental
10/29/2017
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 1 month ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

I am not a fan of placing grafting material in an extraction socket especially if there was infection present. The truth is that the bone will fill in without the grafting material and placing the grafting material just adds hundreds of dollars to the cost of the extraction and the grafting is not necessary. Most of the grafting material falls away anyway and that is what you are seeing now.After 48 hours of Clindamycin at 300 mg every six hours,the swelling should be going down.Your pain is either from poor surgical technique or the fact that the grafting material is not surrounded with enough blood to form a clot. Stay on the clindamycin and get back in ASAP and have them clean the socket and get the grafting material out of there. Then ask for your money back for what they charged you for the bone graft material.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)