Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have a painful root canal with pain all the way to my ear

Hi. I have a painful...
Hi. I have a painful root canal with pain all the way to my ear and eye on left side of my face. I feel swollen around tooth, and having hard time swallowing on left side. There is no dentist opened on Sunday so I need to wait till after work tomorrow to see one. Can I rinse with Chorhexidine Gluconate 0.12% to kill bacteria and control some swelling till I see dentist?
JA: Are you experiencing any dizziness? Do you have a fever?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?
Customer: Heart murmur
10/29/2017
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

If you have swelling,rinsing with Chlorhexidine will not give any real benefit. You need to get started on an antibiotic right away. Penicillin vk is the one of choice but amoxicillin and clindamycin are also good choices. Was this root canal just done or is it an old root canaled tooth?

Most dentists have a 24 hour emergency number that you can call so that they can call in an antibiotic for you. The hospital ER can give you a prescription but the charges will be high and they will not give any treatment.

Rinsing is really useless because the swelling is coming from the pus accumulating in the soft tissues of your face and there is no way to reach that area through your mouth and a root canaled tooth.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The dentist I went to a month ago was not sure if to call it a root canal. The hole I had was just above the nerve, so she just covered it,and told me if it starts to hurt in a few days, then it us a root canal and need to return. But the pain just started yesterday non stop and there is no dentist open till tomorrow. I feel the swelling. And pain.

So it sounds like the root canal was never done. Getting started on an antibiotic and getting the tooth opened ASAP is the correct treatment. Alternating 600 mg of ibuprofen with 1000 mg of Tylenol every four hours can help with the pain but an antibiotic is needed for the swelling.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do talk with part of my mouth cause of swelling and pain. You say I might be able to get antibiotic at hospital. I might just do that...it is very hard for me to sleep. Thank you. I am going to see at emergency care for help.

Once this tooth is opened up to drain ,the pain will leave within minutes.

Tell them give you 300 mg of clindamycin to be taken every 6 hours You will need a weeks supply. Remember that it will take about 48 hours before the antibiotic will start to show some effects.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

Urgent care centers will have less waiting times. You are welcome

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

I hope that you feel better soon.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)