Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had a root canal in August and still don't have a crown…

I had a root...

I had a root canal in August and still don't have a crown put on , because it's difficult to place it on. My question is, will there be any damage because the permanent crown is not on? Never had a temp on

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a dentist about this yet?

Yes several times

Doctor's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

It's the bottom wisdom tooth

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/27/2017
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Good morning! I'd be happy to advise you on this. You said it has never had a temporary crown on it? Am I correct in assuming there is nothing covering over the biting surface of this tooth, and the access hole for the root canal just contains a filling?

Dr. Lara

never had a temporary crown , just cement over the tooth

Okay. In that case, there is a risk of tooth fracture. A root canal removes all of the blood vessels and nerves from the hollow chamber inside the tooth. This removes all of the fluid supply to the tooth, and without it, the tooth becomes dry and brittle and much more likely to crack. Covering the tooth with a crown, even a temporary one, is the way to prevent this from happening. Some people are at higher risk than others based on heavy bite forces or night-time grinding or clenching. The very best thing is to get the tooth covered ASAP. The next best thing is to wear a night-guard to protect it while you sleep, and never chew anything hard or chewy on that side (until it is covered).

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

Ok I understand that ,but it's been a couple of months now and still no crown. The dentist has tried several molds and even a silver cap. My teeth don't grind and I don't chew back there.So I guess I'm trying to find a solution.Should I just have it pulled out?

I think maybe I am misunderstanding you. You said he tried to cover it with a silver cap? That is not a great long-term solution, but it would protect it from fracturing. What happened when he did that?

Dr. Lara

It didn't work , now I'm frustrated and I've already paid them my money

When you say it didn't work, do you mean he never actually completed the procedure, or that he did complete it, but the crown did not stay in place on your tooth?

Dr. Lara

all of the above
the root canal was done that's it

I'm sorry. I'm just trying to get a clear picture of what is going on with your tooth. Thank you for answering all of my questions.

After the root canal procedure itself, and the filling that filled the access hole to the root canal, what else do you remember being done on the tooth?

Would you be able to take a photo of this tooth? That might help me see what you're describing?

Dr. Lara

how can I send you a picture

You should see an option to upload or attach something in this conversation thread. Most customers take a photo with their cell phone and attach it.

Dr. Lara

have you rec'd it

Not yet. I will review it as soon as it uploads.

I understand your frustration with this tooth and the money you've already invested in it. I am hoping the photo will help me better understand why the dentist is not able to put a crown on it. In general, a crown is possible on most teeth. If for some reason, this tooth is not a candidate for a crown, your dentist should explain those reasons to you and advise you how to proceed from here. You definitely do not need to rush into extracting the tooth. If you're not able to put a crown on it, you should keep it and use it as long as you can. If a problem develops at any point in the future, then you can consider extraction.

Does that make sense?

Dr. Lara

my wisdom tooth is way in the back and is not giving me any problems.

It may not for some time. The "perfect" treatment for any tooth that has had a root canal is to cover it with a crown. However, if that's not possible, for whatever reason that I cannot discern right now, then you keep it for as long as you can. Only extract it if you're having either symptoms that you note or if you are advised to by your dentist if he sees signs of an infection at your periodic evaluations.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

The photo never came through. Are there any other questions I can answer for you?

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
don't know why it hasn;t come through , but thank you