Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

When I was I didn't floss because no one ever told me I

When I was young I...
When I was young I didn't floss because no one ever told me I needed to. Also I didn't go to a Dentist for a long time because I couldn't afford to. The consequence was that in addition to needing some root canals I developed a pretty bad case of gum disease. After two or three good deep cleanings, some scraping below the gum line and adding twice daily flossing to my routine the my gums have cleared up and have not been that bad since sometime in my thirties. I am now 69, have a mouth full of crowns and a bridge and still floss and brush my teeth twice a day. Unfortunately, for the last two to three years I have been experiencing an increase in the amount of saliva in my mouth. The problem has gotten so bad that my tongue feels like it is coated with slime or mucus. I have tried swallowing it, spitting it out, or just leaving it alone. I have also tried changing mouth wash and toothpaste. I wash my sinuses out with a saline solution and am using two inhalers for allergies. Nothing works! That is unless of course you count doing nothing or sleeping. Can you tell me what this and if there is any way to treat it? I've asked my dentist but he doesn't seem to be able to offer me a solution.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/26/2017
Dr Ray
Dr Ray, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hello.

My name is*****

Give me a moment to review your question and I will return with a reply.

Thanks.

So, you are experiencing too much saliva. That's interesting. We in Dentistry spend a good deal of time treating patients who do not produce enough saliva, but its pretty rare to see one that has too much.

There are a couple of things that come to mind when you mention having too much saliva. One is diet. Spicy, very sour, and acidic foods can make your salivary glands ramp up and produce excess saliva. In this case, a change of diet may be in order.

There are diseases, such as stroke and Bell's Palsy to name a couple, that also are associated with over production of saliva. In addition, medications for seizures and schizophrenia can be the culprit.

So, what do you do about it. Altering your diet probably should be the first line of attack. Reviewing your medications, if any, with your Dentist/Physician would also be a good step. Evaluation of your salivary glands, to see if they are "spewing" by your Dentist would be another good step. However, if this would be the case, you would require corrective surgery to alleviate the problem. This would, most likely, be accomplished by an Oral Surgeon whom your Dentist can recommend. There is also medications available that could correct your problem. This would probably be done with your Physician and Dentist working in consultation.

Does this information help? Please let me know if it does.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best of luck,

Sincerely,

Dr Ray

Your response is more thorough than I expected but I wonder if you could answer a few questions for me.
1. You mentioned spicy and acidic food; earlier today I came across an article about how important ph. is, it recommended a diet that would produce a ph. that is more alkaline. Is this in line with what you are talking about?
2. What would you recommend that I say to my Dentist in order to convince him to take me seriously and help me figure out what's going on?
3. Do you know of a source for information about what I should or should not eat?

1. I wasn't really suggesting an alkaline diet as much as I was trying to suggest avoiding acidic foods (or drinks, such as cola's). The article on ph was probably more in line with cavity/gum disease issues. That said, its pretty easy to deduce that if you follow an alkaline diet you would be avoiding acidic foods.

2. I would recommend that you confer to your Dentist that this is a "quality of life issue" for you, how serious you are about the problem, and that you need help.

3. I'm sorry but I am not a good source for you on diet, other than avoiding sugars. I would suggest consulting with your primary care physician and inquiring about the aid of a nutritionist. He/she could get you headed in a good direction. In addition, I think the issue with your excess saliva is worth mentioning to your physician so that he could have a look at the medications your taking now (if any) and possibly prescribe medications should your condition not improve with diet.

I hope you have found this information useful. Thank you for allowing me to assist you with your dental concerns. If you feel I have been of service to you, don't forget to rate me (otherwise, I don't get credit for the answer).

As always, feel free to ask me any additional questions concerning this topic.

Best of luck to you,

Dr Ray

Just briefly searched online ... if you do a google search on "alkaline diet" it brings up quite a few links to maybe get you started .... also, it may be a question you want to post here on justanswer, "how do I change from an acidic to an alkaline diet?" or "how do I lower the ph of my diet?"

Dr Ray
Dr Ray, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Thank you Dr. Ray;
Your recommendations will give me a reasonably good starting point. I'll try avoiding acidic foods and see what happens.Tom
Dr Ray
Dr Ray
Dr Ray, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)