Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

My dentist told me that I had an infection at tooth number…

My dentist told me that...
My dentist told me that I had an infection at tooth number #3. My dentist then took x-rays of all my teeth. My dentist then told me that the infection had spread from tooth #3 to tooth #4 (which later I found out tooth #4 was not infected). And she said she needs to pull tooth #4. Tooth 4 had a metal crown on it and I was not having a problem with it. My dentist then began to take the metal crown off tooth #4, and she drilled it and broke tooth #4, and it started bleeding, My dentist tried to stop the bleeding but could not stop it. However her assistant was there helping her, and the assistant knew what to do to stop the bleeding, and her assistant did stop the bleeding. Know the dentist broke off part of my number #4 teeth and she cannot get the crown on it. So she said that she has to cement tooth #3 and #4 together, so that she could cement the temporary crowns on teeth number #3 and #4.
I reported what had happen to the “Dental insurance company” and they called my dentist and ask her for a copy of my x-rays, she lied and told them she did not have any X-rays even though I did take x-rays when I was there, and she broke my #4 tooth after that. Question; what right do I have, and is the dentist liable to me for anything? And should I have to pay my dentist for all the extra work my dentist had to do because she broke my number #4 tooth.
10/25/2017
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Hi, wow, that is a great description of what happened to you at the dentist's office!
First of all do NOT pay anything going forward! There is no way your dentist can state to anyone that you have an infection of tooth # 3 without an X-ray. And then to tell you that the infection spread to tooth #4 would be impossible without an X-ray. Dentists are required to fully examine and evaluate the teeth and X-rays are considered an integral part and a must before recommending any restorations of any tooth. Your dentist is liable and responsible for correcting all of this, at her expense, and if she balks at all then you will just tell her that you will contact the local dental society and have the peer review committee look into this and in addition that yiu will contact the department of professional relation for the state who is required to investigate any inquiry about a dentist. I can assure you that your dentist would not want to be examined by either body and without taking X-rays before hand, if she says she has none, she will be sanctioned by the body and no dentist wants to go through that! Once you confront her with these possibilities she will happily help you. Too many errors and omissions by her and I am sure that her chart entries are nit in order which opens her up to more liability! Chart entries are mandatory and must be complete. Does all this make sense to you? I am sorry you had to have this experience!
Root Canal Doctor
Thank you, ***** ***** a great job explaining everything that I needed. Smile
You are very welcome!
I have served on the mediation committee and I can tell you that dentist's do not want to hear from the committee because then they are required to answer any questions related to an incident and then their records, etc. are examined. Not fun fir anyone! Good luck and things will work out fine for you. What is right is what needs to prevail! :):)