Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I had a root canal taken out last week .it was very

difficult to come out ,and...
I had a root canal taken out last week .it was very difficult to come out ,and the dentist said when she got it out it was infected .I've still got pain with it and the wound hasn't closed up very well .The tooth ended up breaking up ,and the dentist had to take it out in small bits .it was a really horrible experience .I'm wondering if there could still be infection in the gum ?
I've attached a photo of the tooth ,I took on the day I got it taken out .it looks like a horrible discoloured thing
10/24/2017
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Hi, thanks for the photo.
The discoloration of the root is normal because what happens over time with a root canal is that the tooth dries out and can crack or fracture which is why it broke during the extraction. The discoloration occurs as well due to the infection process and the staining from the root canal can also occur depending on what cements and sneakers were used. It takes at least 7-10 days following an extraction for things to begin to get better and it takes 4-6 weeks for the bone to refill the socket. The only thing that could hinder the healing process is if there are pieces of root still left behind or even some bony spicules left behind. If you are not swollen and improving then you will be ok. If after 7-10 days yiu are still having issues your dentist can take an X-ray and see if anything was indeed left behind and not removed. Does all this make sense to you?
Root Canal Doctor
Hi, I just noticed a funny typo, sorry. It is supposed to read "sealers" and not "sneakers" were used.
Have a great week! :):)
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor