Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I had an abscess infection in my lower back tooth/jaw back

in may. 5 weeks of...
i had an abscess infection in my lower back tooth/jaw back in may. 5 weeks of different antibiotics and then, finally, a tooth extraction and a bone graft. I went back in 4 weeks ago to have an anchor put into the graft (so that a tooth can be placed in later) and they saw that there was still an infection. I was on amoxicillin for another week. Now it feels like the pain and inflammation is coming back again. Thought?
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: no recent injuries. It feels like the infection won't go away
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no. never had an abscess before
10/20/2017
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, there! Just to clarify, when did you take your last dose of antibiotic? It is possible that you have a new infection around the implant. It doesn't mean the implant will fail. But it does likely mean you need to have more antibiotics.

Dr. Lara

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for getting back to me. i finished the last dose (amoxicillin) 1 month ago on sept 16th. The other 5 antibiotics were taken from the beginning of may into june

Okay, so you took them at the time of the implant placement surgery? Is that correct?

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Phone call session started

I received your phone call request. I will be available to complete this request in about 10 minutes.

Dr. Lara

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks for your assistance!Mark

You're very welcome! I'm happy to help. You can return to this question if you have more questions for me. I hope your dentist can get you in quickly and get you started on some good, strong antibiotics. Take it easy this weekend.

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)