Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

My whole left side of mouth both top and bottom are

sensitive to cold water -...
My whole left side of mouth both top and bottom are sensitive to cold water - it is ome sort of pain or discomfort - what can be the main reason?
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/20/2017
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Hi, there are a several possible reasons this could be happening.
I could be that you have some bone loss that allows the cold water to reach the cementum (root surface) of your tooth. This is highly sensitive to remperature.
It could be that you have some decay present which is another reason.
It could also be that you have some pulps (nerves) in yiur teeth that are now reacting to temperature.
When you have your discomfort with cold if the pain leaves within seconds then this means that the rebound reaction of your nerves is good and the nerves are ok. If the pain lingers for several minutes or longer then you have a nerve problem with one or more if your teeth and you would need to see your dentist for an evaluation.
Temperature sensitivity can be referred from one arch to the other from only one tooth but this sensitivity will not cross the mid line to the other side of your jaw.
What you can try if the sensitivity disappears quickly is some toothpastes that will help with sensitivity:
Sensodyne or Colgate's Durophat or http://www.colgatesensitiveprorelief.com/EN/products/toothpaste
Sensodyne True White- low abrasive whitening and sensitivity care at the same time:
http://www.sensodyne.co.uk/products/sensodyne-products/sensodyne-true-white.aspx
Other Colgate Products Related to Dentin Hypersensitivity:
Colgate® Sensitive Toothpaste
Colgate Sensitive Pro-Relief® Desensitizing Paste
If this does not help then you would need to see your dentist for X-rays and an examination.
I hope this answers your question?
Thank you doctor , that certainly helps. My discomfort disappears immediately after the cold water is swallowed .If I use these sensitive toothpaste will it fix the underlying cause or is it just containing the symptoms ?if in case I decide to see a dentist , Can I go to a normal dentist or is there a specific type of dentist that I should go to - like endodontist ...thanks much for the detailed reply
You are very welcome!
Glad to hear your symptoms disappear very quickly. That is good news.
A general dentist would be perfect for you now given your symptoms and no need to see an Endodontist at this time.
You are correct in assuming that the toothpaste will just "contain" your symptoms. The underling cause could just a temporary gingival inflammation which can translate into increased sensitivity to temperature and when the condition improves the symptoms will too. This is not an emergency and if the discomfort continues make an appointment with your general dentist fir an evaluation. No rush unless the symptoms get worse!
Hopefully everything will just calm down quickly.
If you need more information please do not hesitate to ask.
Thanks and good luck! :):)
Root Canal Doctor