Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I wanted to get some dental advice as Im in bad dental pain.

Hi there,I wanted to get...
Hi there,I wanted to get some dental advice as Im in bad dental pain. I had a scale clean 9-days ago. I am in a lot of pain probably last 4-days since then. I went back to my dentist and explained this pain on my teeth(about four teeth are in pain on left side, 2 upper, 2 lower).... He took a few X-rays, he said your teeth are not in decay(I've had a few fillings on some of them). He said stuff like Root-canal and that isn't an option yet and to monitor the pain. He said no need to panic. He explained and I'm probably not saying it right, something about "Root sensitivity" in the tooth as the bone has been exposed and the size of the bone or tooths changes(not sure if he said bone or tooth) or gets adjusted and it takes time to adjust, plus the calculus being taken of the tooth and gums now they are being exposed. But this is 9-days since then and I'm in pain. Last night I had to take a codine based pain-killer to get to sleep. I slept well after the painkiller, but that is not a cure just a termpoary reliever. Im fresher today coz iv slept well, but I'm still sensitive to pain and "hot and cold foods". Do people occasionally have to have there teeth removed after a scaling like 10-days or 3-weeks later coz of the pain or not..
I'm just not sure what options will happens now to my teeth as I've never had such a situation. I would hate to think 4-teeth would have to be removed as a result of the pain from the dental scaling periodontal treatment clem my dentist did.
SO yeah if a dentist could just explain my options now with these teeth that would be appreciated. I've had a ceramic filling in one of the four teeth that are sore, and I suffer from TMJ syndrome to and I'm a teeth grinder my dentist has recommended I get a dental-mouthguard. Im a man in his mid-30's...
I don't think my dentist has committed medical-negligince with the scale-clean just the pain is a worry and wondering why this or treatment options or procedures going forward..
10/20/2017
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Standby

It sounds as if there was a considerable amount of calculus on the teeth when they were cleaned.This calculus was most likely giving you some protection on the root surface of the teeth that had this deposit. Although the calculus was giving you protection from temperature,it was eating away the bone that surrounds the teeth.The calculus is full of bacteria and if not removed,the bone will continue to deteriorate around the tooth until the tooth gets loose and falls out.If the teeth are still firm that is a good sign.Now the sensitivity issue. The root surface can be treated with a desensitizing agent which your dentist can apply. If the teeth are sensitive from your grinding,the tops of the teeth can be adjusted so that they are more flat and don't absorb so much pressure from your bite.The cause for your sensitivity must be determined though. It is either from root sensitivity or from your grinding. Root canal therapy will end the root sensitivity issue but will not affect the pain from grinding. Do you have an X-ray of your mouth to upload? Do you have any missing teeth that have not been replaced? Were you told that you had periodontal disease?

Hi there,To keep it short and simple, there was a large amount of calculus on the left side of my teeth where the pain is now. The teeth are still firm there(had some fillings and one tooth had a ceramic filling).. The densiziting agent I have heard of he didn't bring that up directly but after the appointment yesterday my Dentist told me I must use a stronger fluoride mouthwash and toothpaste(Colgate Neutra Flour 5000 toothpaste/colgate Neutra flour 220 mouthwash). The label says the Neutraflour 5000 toothpaste is a dental caries preventative for individuals at high risk of caries...I have only discussed the tooth girdling with regards ***** ***** getting a mouthguard when i sleep and didn't know the tops of the teeth can be adjusted e.g. made more flat to ease pressure from my natural bite movements...
With periodontal diseases I have only been diagnosed with Gingivitis at this stage. I do get gum bleeding and am treating that with flossing and better oral-hygene or attempting to. And using mouthwash and warm salt water sometimes. My dentist says none of my gums have progressed to the periodontis(gum disease stage) as the gap or whatever it is between the gum and tooth isn't big enough or deep enough yet etc...
No X-rays of my mouth on me sorry... I'm left handed and most of my teeth problems have always been on the left for whatever the reason. Had all four wisdom teeth out 15 years ago... I had crown lengthening last year on one of my tooths(I think tooth 20 or 21 lower-left). The crown lengthening I worry sometimes if there has been an increase between increase gum problems and the crown-lengtehning I had last year for this tooth, so I could get a crown..

It is hard to comment on all of these other issues without seeing an X-ray. There are toothpastes though on the market that are specifically designed to control sensitivity. Sensodyne makes a good one and you should try it to see if that helps. Getting your bite adjusted and wearing a night guard can also help decrease the sensitivity. It sounds like your root surfaces are exposed on these teeth. This has occurred because the calculus was not removed for a long time and now the gum is attached at a lower level leaving the root exposed.The root is composed by a material called cementum which is more porous than the enamel that covers the crown of the tooth. The toothpastes for sensitivity are designed to work on the root surface of the tooth to decrease the porosity of the cementum.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)