Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Top and bottom teeth on right side hurt. Been off and on…

Top and bottom teeth...

Top and bottom teeth on right side hurt. Been off and on about 2 weeks been abke to control with Tylenol. Now it wont touch it

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

2 weeks. I have a sensitive tooth with a filling about 6 months old. Sensitive to temperature. That makes it worse. And im using a heating pad at the moment trying to help

10/20/2017
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Hi, sorry to hear you are in so much discomfort.
Please STOP putting any heat on the outside of your face immediately! For dental issues that involve teeth heat may feel good but will create more dangerous problems so please NO heat.
A tooth that is sensitive to temperature is an indication that the pulp (nerve) in the tooth is involved and a root canal is the next step if you wish to retain the tooth. Pain medication alone will not help and you must call your dentist in the morning and have it evaluated and then the tooth will be opened and medicated and the pain will stop instantly. Tonight you can
can take 2 Advil (400mg) every 4-6 hours along with 2 Tylenol (650 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication. It may not help but it is better than nothing at all.
Unfortunately when you have what you have now only having the tooth worked on will help. Medications including narcotics will not help. Your tooth may even become sensitive to biting and chewing and that is normal as well.
So please do call your dentist in the morning and if they are unable to see you as an emergency ask to be referred to an Endodontist who does see emergency patients like yourself daily.
Do you understand all that I have just written?
Root Canal Doctor
I do. Thank you very much!i really appreciate it!
You are very welcome!
Once the dentist is sure of the exact tooth, which in your case is easy to find, the next step will be to open and medicate and your pain will be gone!
Good luck tomorrow and hopefully tonight will go well too.
Please elevate your head when sleeping. :):)
Will do! Thanks again!