Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Had a molar pulled and experienced a lot of pain radiating

from my check to my...
Had a molar pulled and experienced a lot of pain radiating from my check to my neck with neck pain and ear pain and headaches. Check still quite puffy and looks like some bone peeking out from socket. What could be wrong and should I call the dentist in the morning
JA: Are you experiencing any dizziness? Do you have a fever?
Customer: No fever and not feeling quite dizzy. Just not all the way strong.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?
Customer: When she pulled it, it was hard to pull for a while. I am experiencing a slight sore throat.
10/16/2017
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Hi, sorry yiu are in so much due first now.
When was this tooth removed? Was there an infection or abscess and were you placed on any antibiotics or pain pills?
Thanks.
Sorry for typos am on an IPad.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Had it pulled last Monday and as far I know I didn't have an abscess. But my tooth had cracked down and they couldn't save it. But my gum had started to become sensitive days before it was pulled
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No antibiotics and on definite pain pills
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But it seems as if some bone is peeking through but I know all the tooth came out and root. And it also look kind of greenish. I am rinsing with warm water and salt to help pain. I was so bad that I thought I had to go to ER.
Thanks! If you are still experiencing a lot of pain that has not started to disappear by now then it is possible that you had a dry socket develop in the first 24-48 hours. After 6 days you should be improving and not in so much distress. Can you upload a photo of the socket? The cheek swelling is not unusual but after 6 days that is also not normal. Hopefully you did not start your rinsing until the 3rd day because if you begin rinsing too early that could dislodge the clot which causes the dry socket and a lot of pain. Exposed bone, if that is what you have, is also very painful. Try and upload a photo! Let me know if yiu are unable to do it. Thanks.
Going to the ER would not help you because they only prescribe meds and do not render dental treatment of any kind.
Please do NOT put any heat on the outside of your face!
Are you still there?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did not start rinse until 2 days ago
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was hard to get a good pic with cheek swelling and position of tooth.
Great. I understand which is why I said to let me know if you could not do it. Thanks for trying! You definitely need to call your dentist in the morning and have the socket checked. If it is a dry socket you could try oil of cloves on small piece of cotton or pellet, benzocaine on pellet or iodoform gauze or desitin on both sides of small piece of gauze (1/2 to1 inch). The gauze should be removed in 48 hours.
How to video:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4iWC3laSv68
Explanation URL:
http://www.animated-teeth.com/dry-sockets/a4-dry-sockets-treatments.htm
Or if you do not want to try any of this just call your dentist in the morning and she can evaluate the socket and possible exposed bone as well.
Since the pain meds you are now taking are not working you can try taking 2 Advil (400mg) every 4-6 hours along with 2 Tylenol (650 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication and many times is much more effective.
Does all this make sense to you?
Root Canal Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you so much for your help. I appreciate your time and effort. I will call them in the morn but also try those remedies. Thanks again. I suspected dry socket as well.
Good luck and please let me know how tomorrow goes for you.
Thanks and have a nice evening, if you can! :):)
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor