Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Katz, I had the root canal done this AM. This Endodonist is

Hi Dr. Katz,I had the...
Hi Dr. Katz,I had the root canal done this AM. This Endodonist is putting me on another antibiotic in addition to the amoxicillin and said that it would take care of the swelling. This antibiotic is Flagyl. So it will be Flagyl 250 and Amoxicillin 500. Do you think I’m on the right track? When can I expect the swelling to get better?
10/9/2017
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Was the root canal completed or did he just open the tooth to drain? The final part of the root canal which includes sealing the tooth should never be done while there is swelling present.

He told me to go back in two to three weeks. Oh no!!!! Now I’m worried. He opened, drained, put medicine and put a temporary filling I think.
He is one of the doctors at the endodonist clinic. Not my normal dentist

Ok so they did not finish it. How long ago did you start the antibiotic?

I have taken 5 doses of the Amoxicillian so far. Not much right? LOL. I’m just anxious to see my face again!Shawn

You have not been on it long enough to see any results. It will take at least 48 hours before that happens. The Flagyl is not necessary. The amoxicillin 500 mg every 8 hours is all that you need. They should not be waiting longer than about 10 days to finish the root canal but you are on the right track. Just stay on the amoxicillin and the swelling will start to decrease within the next day or so.

Ok. It just seems to me like the swelling has (at this point) gotten progressively worse. I don’t know why he wants to wait so long to finish the root canal. Maybe I will see about getting in around 10 days from now. On another note, I have found a new dentist that gets great reviews and has an emergency phone number for weekends! I told the Endodonists office to contact my ‘new’ dentist with my records. I
will probably also get this new office to contact my old office for my records that go back to when I was three years old. I really miss my dentist that retired but this is the second time I’ve had such a bad experience and it’s time for me to move on. I’ve given this new dentist so many chances. He just cancels appointments and rushes, it took him 5 months to place my permanent crown from my last root canal emergency. I appreciate you being there for me. This service is great for someone like me that has anxiety concerning health issues.Thank you from the bottom of my heart!Shawn

You need to give the amoxicillin time to work.Once an infection has progressed into the soft tissues. It takes a while to get a high enough level of antibiotic in the system to wipe out the bacteria. You can double up on the amoxicillin for the next 24 to get a higher level more quickly. It will resolve though now that the pulp of the tooth has been removed.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Dr Katz,I STILL have swelling! I now have a large swollen section on my gums above my top left side teeth. I’m fonished with both Flagyl and Amoxicillin on Tuesday. I’m at a loss for what to do at this point. I’m so scared that this infections is just going to progress. What should my next course of action be? I have been dealing with this for over a week now. :(Shawn

Did this swelling start after you left the dental office?

The swelling in my gums is a new development. The swelling in my face while better is still there. When I went to the endodonist last Monday for the root canal I had massive swelling in my face but not my gums. Does that answer the question?Shawn

One thing that dentists do sometimes when opening a tooth to drain is that they put a temporary filling in the tooth and it leaves no place for the drainage to occur so it has to go into the soft tissue of your face. You should return to the dentist and have them remove the temporary filling.They should never finish the root canal while there is swelling. To be safe, I would have them switch you to clindamycin 300 mg to be taken every six hours. Make sure that the temporary has a place to drain. If the dentist doesn't understand this,have him call me and I will explain what he needs to do.

Ok. I don’t actually have a dentist anymore. I will try to find a new one tomorrow. I do have a temporary filling in the root canal at this point. I’m becoming sad and feel helpless. Should I just return to the Endodontist instead of bringing a new dentist into this saga?

The endodontist should finish the root canal so you should return to him first and get the temporary filling out of the tooth so he can establish drainage. He can also switch your antibiotic. This will only take 15 minutes.Once the swelling is gone,the root canal can be finished.The only other cause for swelling in this area would be from the local anesthetic injection but you would have seen that swelling coming up in the dental office.

Ok. I will go back tomorrow. Thank you.

You are welcome.

Dr Katz - this swollen part of my gums ruptured. It was probably one of the most disgusting things I’ve ever encountered. I am not kidding. So now it’s puffy but much, much less. What should I do to care for this? I have been doing salt water rinses. Thanks! Shawn

Salt water rinses are good.Make sure that you let the endodontist know what happened and tell him that this is what happens when you seal close an infected tooth and leave no way for drainage. They all do this and it really makes no sense.Hydrogen peroxide diluted 1:1 can also be a good mouth wash

This has been quite a saga and going on for almost two weeks. I have missed days of work, been a really terrible wife and mother and have felt incredibly bad. I am now starting to get mad. I really need competent professionals caring for me. I might start driving to New Orleans or Baton Rouge for my medical care at this point. What an absolutely awful situation. I sure hope that I get better soon. :(Just for the record, my doctor, dentist and OB all retired within the last three years. I much prefer older, seasoned doctors. I sure hope my accountant manages to stay for a few more years.Again, I appreciate your help.Shawn

I am so sorry that you had to go through all of this. Experience is really the key because I have found that the younger doctors coming out to practice these days have no idea what they are doing. It is quite sad.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)