Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I just got my tooth filled on Monday and now it is aching.

Customer Question
I just got my...

I just got my tooth filled on Monday and now it is aching. What should I do

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?

No Monday

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/6/2017
Dentist: Beth Dorian, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 8 months ago
Beth Dorian
Beth Dorian, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hello, I'm Dr. Dorian, I'm reviewing your question right now, and I'll be back in a moment!

Thank you
I have had 2 root canals before. I am only 19. I had slight pain in this tooth before but not bad. The filling chipped and I got the filling replaced. It hurts in the gum area and when I chew on very hard or chewy foods.

Unfortunately, (much to the dismay of dentists and patients) pain like your describing after fillings does happen. It could be due to a high bite. It might be as simple as shaving off a bit of the filling material so that the tooth doesn't hit heavy. If it is hitting heavy, it will cause aching (the tissues surrounding the tooth will get very sore!).

Or it could be due to a "pulpitis." If it is due to pulpitis, the question is:

Is it REVERSIBLE pulpitis or IRREVERSIBLE pulpitis.

If it is REVERSIBLE, then it will get better.

If it is IRREVERSIBLE, it won't. It will need a root canal. :(

Shortly after a filling is placed it can be hard to tell. However, if the pain is SEVERE, (prevents you from being able to sleep) then it is likely irreversible.

The first thing I check is ALWAYS the bite.

Was the filling deep? That is more likely to trigger irreversible pulpitis. If I place a very deep filling, I always warn my patient about that possibility.

I just saw your next response... since it only hurts in the gum area, maybe there is a piece of filling material irritating the gums there. (possibility #3!)

to the best of your knowledge,

1.) Which tooth was filled?

2.) Did the dentist say it was deep?

3.) On a scale of 1-10 what is your pain level (10 being excruciating)

4.) If you have something cold, does that trigger more pain?

Those answers will help!