Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Tooth pain, went for an extraction and novacaine caused a…

Customer Question
tooth pain , went...

tooth pain , went for an extraction and novacaine caused a reaction so dentist referred to an oral surgeon. Face is now 2x size ( was never swollen initially) and after 2 days on amoxicillin swelling continues to increase

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

Its my son and a broken tooth

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

Nope, hes on amoxicillin 875 BID ( not augmentin)

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dental
10/4/2017
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 10 months ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Hi, so sorry to hear about your son's reaction. If the swelling is a result of an allergic reaction to the anesthetic then your son should also be on a corticosteroid like Predipnisone. In addition the use of a steroid is also indicated if the inflammatory process is not under control. If the swelling is from the extraction then that could take 3-5 days before things improve. In addition your son could also be taking upwards of 2000mg a day of Amoxicillin. Warm salt water rinses will help now if the swelling is from the extraction itself. I do believe you should call your Oral Surgeon NOW and explain what is happening and I am sure the surgeon will want to see him to evaluate the extreme swelling! Does all this make sense to you??
The warm salt water rinses are to used only in the mouth and NO heat on the outside of the face!
tooth wasn't able to be extracted due to swelling and oral surgeon told him to put heat on it
Ive been an RN for 30 years and his dad is a go doc. but we don't do teeth
Heat on the outside of the face is WRONG and that is why he is so swollen. Please no heat even though it feels great it just causes fluids in the tissues to leave the mouth and expand and travel into the facial planes which causes extreme swelling and that is dangerous. Please call the OS now and ask to have your son seen especially given the extreme swelling. That advice was wrong! Is the OS a young surgeon? Heat everywhere else on the body is great but not for issues in the mouth! The idea is to confine the problem internally and not exacerbate it which is what external heat applications causes. If the problem was from a TMJ issue then it would be ok but not for an extraction, etc.!
Are you still there?
That's what I said , I was afraid it could become systemic . Ma sucks for healthcare. Oral surgeon for*****Hunter ( northeast oral surgeons ) in north andover
He should know better! Swellings from external heat that extend down into the neck are especially problematic and should be avoided at all costs. Air flow can be impeded if the swelling drops below the angle of the jaw and down into the neck. Is this a lower molar?
lower molar!
Figures!! Lower molars are the more difficult extractions and are also involved in more anesthesia issues as well!
The sad thing is the kid had NO swelling prior to the first dentist. After novacsibe he became diaphoretic and shaky and then face swelling.( he's also taking toradol which concerned me ... bleeding ) But they said in the surgeons office that it doesn't effect the face the same way?
My guess at this point was that the anesthetic was partially injected into a blood vessel which cause sweating, pain and localizedcswearing and if the dentist used an aspirating syringe the amount injected us minimal! If he was observant! The major swelling is from the external heat place on the outside of the face. Your dentist could have easily explained what happened and it is really not an event that needs an OS to look at. There are very few if any allergic reactions to local anetsthics. There is no need to worry about the Toradol. What I usually prescribe is: 2 Advil (400mg) every 4-6 hours along with 2 Tylenol (650 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication.
That should read localized sweating! Sorry I am on an IPad at the moment. Lol
Thanks so much , he's taking Percocet alternating with toradol 10 po q 12. ( all with food)
Thnx again
You are very welcome!
Have him elevate his head when sleeping as well.
When you get a chance please rate our interaction so that I get credit for responding.
Thanks and have a nice evening! :):)