Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had a filling done on a front tooth along the gum line on…

Customer Question
I had a filling...

I had a filling done on a front tooth along the gum line on Thursday. It's hurting so bad now that I can't eat and can barely manage the pain.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?

I was at the dentist on Thursday

Doctor's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

What would you like to know?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/1/2017
Dentist: Beth Dorian, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 7 months ago
Beth Dorian
Beth Dorian, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hello, Dr. Dorian here. I'm currently reviewing your question, and I'll be back momentarily.

I'm so sorry to hear of the pain you're experiencing now. Given how you're describing it, my guess is that you have "Irreversible Pulpitis" but I will ask a few questions to be sure:

1.) Is the pain occurring spontaneously... when you're doing nothing except sitting around?

2.) How bad is the pain on a scale of 1-10, when it's at it's worst?

3.) Are there any stimuli that cause the pain to get worse? (sounds like when you eat it's worse, but what about temperature... hot/cold)?

4.) Was the pain this bad on Thursday and Friday, or did it just crop up today?

I will describe a bit more about what is going on and help you make the determination regarding the diagnosis.

You have a "pulpitis." That means the pulp of your tooth (which houses the nerve tissues) is very inflamed. That's what is causing your pain. The only question is whether the pulpitis is "reversible" or "irreversible."

It is quite common to have a "reversible pulpitis" after a dental procedure such as a crown or a filling. The symptom of reversible pulpitis is pain when stimulus is present (like, cold or chewing). But the pain subsides after the stimulus is removed. And this "reversible pulpitis" pain is typically not the off-the-charts pain that you're describing. Though, occasionally people have spontaneous pain RIGHT after the procedure is done. It's not totally cut and dry.

While it's certainly less common to develop "irreversible pulpitis" after a procedure, it can and does happen. If the filling was deep, there is a greater chance of it happening. I always warn my patients when I place a deep filling! If the pulpitis is "irreversible," the tooth will need a root canal. Short term relief can be achieved with antibiotics and pain medicine. "Irreversible pulpitis" can cause spontaneous pain, or sometimes, pain that lingers for 30 seconds or more after the pain-provoking stimulus (chewing, hot, or cold). The pain can be mild to VERY severe.

Based on my description, you can probably determine whether it's more likely you have "reversible pulpitis" or "irreversible pulpitis." If it is the latter, I will link a video that describes options for this condition (long term and short term options.)

https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cDX02wQ1jx

Beth Dorian
Beth Dorian