Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had gum grafting done recently. Now I have a terrible

Customer Question
I had gum grafting...

I had gum grafting done recently. Now I have a terrible tooth ache..pain in cheek and lip

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?

0ne week ago all was good

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dental
9/30/2017
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 7 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Do you have any swelling? Can you upload a picture of the area in question?

No sweeling...terrible pain. I am out of town and cannot see my dentist till Monday. It must be a nerve in the tooth. I had gum grafting done on top and lower less than 3 months ago. Also had root canal done on tooth. I am concerned

It does not sound like the gum grafting has anything to do with the pain.

Can you put your finger on a particular tooth that is hurting?

The fact that there is no current swelling is a good sign. Do you have any pain to hot ,cold or biting pressure?

If you cannot start on any antibiotics,taking 1000 mg of tylenol and alternating every four hours with 600 mg of ibuprofen can give some substantial pain relief.

Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine