Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I was given azithromycin by my dentist to treat a tooth

infection until I can be...
I was given azithromycin by my dentist to treat a tooth infection until I can be seen for a root canal next week. I am allergic to penicillin and clindamycin gives me severe diarrhea. Is azithromycin a good substitute? There seems to be little information online about its use as a dental antibiotic, which is why I am wondering if it was a good choice.Thanks!
-Andrew
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/30/2017
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Hi Andrew, the 3 drugs of choice for dental infections are Penicillin, Clindamycin and Erythromycin. Since you are unable to take the first 2 the next best would be Erythromycin but it can also cause diarrhea and stomach pain as well. So taking Azithromycin will be better than taking nothing at all even though it is not specific for dental infections. Are swollen or in pain or were you told to take an antibiotic as a precaution or what? Thanks.
The tooth that I chipped is very painful and the dentist said that she could see an infection in the root on the x-ray. She said the infection would prevent the local anaesthetic from working when I came to get the root canal, so she put me on the azithromycin.
As long as you are not swollen then you can take the Azithromycin and get the desired response to the anesthetic that your dentists wants. Good luck next week and If you need more information please let me know! Thanks. :):)
Root Canal Doctor