Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

In may I had a massive abscess which lead to the tooth being…

Customer Question
in may I had a...
in may I had a massive abscess which lead to the tooth being removed, I had no problem until last week when I noticed a bad taste in my mouth on teusday I pressed the gum and green puss started ozzing out, I am still draining the gum, I went to dentist today and had an x ray there is a shadow now in the upper gum they didn't seem to no what it is. After passing the X-ray round they gave me co amioxclav and referred me to a specialist in the hospital, my question is does this sound like oral cancer
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dental
9/29/2017
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 10 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

This does not sound like oral cancer but I would like to have a look at the X-ray to give you a better idea of what is going on. Can you upload the X-ray?

I don't have a copy of the x ray but could the extraction of the tooth have affected my sinus. The green puss is coming from the gum where the tooth was taken out but the gum is healed. The left of my two front teeth
Dentist: Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 10 months ago
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Good afternoon! It doesn't sound like oral cancer from your description. I understand that you don't have access to the X-ray. Could you take a photo of the area that has the pus exuding from it? It would help me answer you better if I could see it.

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Image added

I apologize for the delay. I am available now. Thank you for uploading that photo. The good news is that the area does not have any appearance of oral cancer. Could you answer a few questions for me?

1) What type of specialist did they refer you to? An ENT?

2) When did you start taking the antibiotic prescription?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Not sure of the specialist but started the antibiotic on friday

Okay, thank you. Have you noticed a decrease in the swelling or pus since being on the antibiotic?

Also, where on the gum were you pressing to cause the pus to exude? Right near the adjacent teeth? Or up higher underneath your lip, near your nose?

Dr. Lara

Just both the missing tooth it feels almost like a pocket that keeps filling up when it's drained, there was never much swelling and the pus is still coming as much as before, I have noticed my left side of my nose stuffy

Okay, thank you. There are a few things that could be going on, and without the x-ray, I am just taking a guess. It's possible that when you had the severe abscess in May, the infection from your tooth destroyed the barrier between your nasal or sinus cavity and the gums. This means that there would be an opening from your nose into your mouth. What I can't figure out is where exactly the pus is coming out because the photo you sent looks like the gum tissue is closed everywhere. Can you put an arrow on the photo to show me exactly where the pus comes out?

Dr. Lara

The pus is coming from the gum I have pushed it slightly so u can see where the pus is coming from

Yes! I see it now. Thank you so much for that great picture.

what do you think

I do think it is a complication of the abscessed tooth you suffered in May. It is possible that the infection is still present (possibly aggravated by your sinus problems at this time), and there is a communication, allowing it to come out of the gums. It may be coming out of the gums on an adjacent tooth, or a small opening in the gums (I think it is more likely to be the first).

It looks likely that you will need some type of surgical intervention, where they will go into the infection and clean it out. I would think this would be done by an oral surgeon, but I'm not sure if that is who they referred you to.

Definitely stay on the antibiotics they put you on, but call and let them know that pus is still exuding from the site. They may want to change the antibiotic prescription to something a little stronger.

You can add some warm salt water rinses to keep the mouth side of this issue clean and flushed out.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara