Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Two years ago I had the tooth at the very back on the lower…

Customer Question
Two years ago I...

Two years ago I had the tooth at the very back on the lower right, so no tooth there. I have also had my wisdom teeth pulled years ago. I now have this "bone" on the inner side of my gum or jaw area that has broken the skin and is protruding sideways.It is becoming sore and I am afraid it will get infected around broken skin.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have any gum pain? Do you any discomfort in your jaw?

NO

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

No. Could it be part of the tooth that was extracted two years ago. It was broken and had to be taken out in pieces.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dental
9/29/2017
Dentist: Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 7 months ago
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Good morning! I'd be happy to help you figure out what is going on here. Can you tell me when you first noticed anything coming out of the gum on this area? And also when was the last time you had any dental work in this area? Even something as minor as a teeth cleaning?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Noticed 5 days ago. No work done since two years ago. The tip of the bone broke off on tongue side. The area is very sore, but no throbbing. Could it be getting infected as the skin is broken from the bone?

Yes, it could become infected as it is an open wound. What you are describing is called a bony sequestrum. This is a small piece of bone that detaches and works its way out of the gum tissue like a splinter. Once it has worked its way out and is no longer attached, the area needs to be monitored closely for more bony splinters or an infection. The dentist may prescribe oral antibiotics or put you on an antibiotic mouthrinse until the gum tissue heals over the area where the bone worked its way out.

Until you can get in to see a dentist, it would be a good idea to do some mild antiseptic mouthrinse (alcohol-free only), or just rinse with warm salt water.

It's also important to see a dentist to make sure there are no more areas of splintered bone underneath the gum tissue.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)