Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

If a dentist found a cyst while removing and infected tooth…

If a dentist found...

If a dentist found a cyst while removing and infected tooth and preparing for an implant should they tell the patient that they had to remove a cyst?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?

8/24/17 is when the Tooth was pulled and the cyst removed and a bone graft done

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

Developed a horrible sinus infection on the same side 3 days after the aurgwey

Answered in 1 hour by:
9/28/2017
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Hi, if a dentist found what was believed to be a cyst he/she is obligated to tell the patient and then have it biopsied to confirm the diagnosis! The area should heal just as well if the area was not cystic as along as the cysts lining wall was completely enucliated. If the tooth in question was an upper molar the sinus floor could have been compromised or perforated during the cyst removal and that coukd cause sinus related issues or it could just be coincidental. Were you given antbiotics following the surgery or were you already taking some?
I am on my 4th round of antibiotics from my doctor. The dentist never mentioned the cyst to me. I found out after from my doctor. She remembered a Ct scan I had that showed the cyst in the sinus area. My dentist told me he never touched my sinus
Four rounds of an antbiotic is way too many prescriptions! Was the" cyst" biopsied? Have you seen an Oral Surgeon regarding this problem? Thanks.
Two were from the dentist for the dental infection and then two new to cure the absolutely putrid sinus infection. Mu dentist did the surgery. He does implants so he removed the tooth and then bone graft
I would really suggest that you ask for a referral to an OS for an evaluation. Too much time has passed for you not be completely symptom free and another pair of eyes is what is needed now and it should be a socialist which is the OS!
Something is not right and you need to find out what it is! You cannot keep taking antibiotics it is not healthy for you to do so! Does this make sense to you?
That should read specialist not socialist! Lol
This is the last round the sinus infection is cleared I have to figure out how to get my crown back from my dentist. He ripped it off the neighbor tooth during the extraction
That should not be a problem to get the crown back but my concern now is whether the crown can be placed on the tooth or was there some damage done so that the crown will not fit or seal properly when replaced? Too many issues yiu have been through with this entire process. Very unusual!
It's the crown from the tooth next to the removed one. You think it won't fit?The sinus infection was on sides and I have never tasted anything as putrid or smelled anything as putrid. For 1.5 weeks. Needed anti nausea pills
I am just concerned that some part if the tooth under the crown may have been compromised when the crown was pulled off. Be sure that the dentist tells you that the entire margins of the tooth are properly sealed with the old crown. An X-ray following the replacement would be a great way to check and then you can see it as well. Makes sense to me and your dentist should have no issues in doing this for you and for him. Always worth an extra step to ensure that everything is as it should be.
He won't see me anymore
Why not? That is not professional and can be reported as abandonment since you have not had all your work completed. So,please tell me why he will not see you any longer?
Because he didn't explain things and I asked a lot of questions.
Wrong! He has an obligation to you and must complete the work that was started. You can report him to the local dental society and the peer review committee will respond and he will not want to talk to them but he must. So you can either talk to him about what you will and he may agree to finish everything because no dentisrvwants to be disciplined by the local dental society or the regulatory body for dentists in your state. He cannot just tell you good bye without completing the work! That is a punishable offense in every state!
Oh ok. I don't know if I trust him to finish the work
That would be my concern as well. At the very least you need to be compensated for the damage done and if you have pre paid then you are due a refund so that you can complete the work elsewhere. If he refuses to cooperate with you or you are not satisfied with the settlement then the peer review board will force him to do the right thing including the correct renumeration to you!!
I paid for the extraction and graft which he did along with the membrane. I paid for an flipper tooth and would need that money back. I would also need the old crown or be compensated for the cost of a new one
That is correct. I am sure he does not want any trouble or contact from the peer review committee so he should be very happy to reimburse you so that you will pursue the matter. Just be sure you are satisfied with the amount of money he intends to return to you and he may want you to sign a hold harmless release as well so do not be surprised if he asks you to do it. Ok?
I should sign it?
you should. He will not return any funds to you without it per his attorney's advice.
This will legally separate you from him with all things dental. It protects both if you. :)
All I want is my oirtiob back abd
You can negotiate whatever you wish to have back from him. You are the patient and you have rights!
Do you need more information?
I am signing off for the night and will answer any more questions you have in the morning.
Good night and do not worry because in the end you will get what is coming to you!!:):)
Hi, if you do not more help with this could you please rate our interaction so that I get credit for responding.
Thanks and good luck! :):)
Are you still there?
Root Canal Doctor