Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I was wondering if it is possible for a tooth that has

Customer Question
Hello,I was wondering if it...
Hello,I was wondering if it is possible for a tooth that has sustained nerve damage through the trauma of braces be able to regenerate on it's own?I wore braces for 2 years, they were removed in March 2015. It wasn't until the middle of 2016 that I noticed the tooth to the left of my front teeth was turning grey (it was the tooth that had the elastic bracket on it, and I remember severe pain particularly on that tooth whenever my braces were tightened and new elastics added).So I went to my normal dentist for a check up and he applied the cold gas to several spots on the front of my tooth and I felt nothing. He told me the nerve was dead and I would need a root canal.I then went to see my orthodontist. He did a more thorough cold gas test and couldn't get a response on the tooth until he touched the very top underside of the tooth – the part that is closest to the nerve I imagine. That was the only area that registered slightly cold for me. He then took an x-ray which showed that there was still a visible blood supply circulating the tooth. I was relieved that I wouldn't have to go through a root canal at that time, and might be able to preserve the tooth.A few months ago I returned to my orthodontist for a follow-up check-up on my tooth. This time when he tested the tooth, straight away I registered a strong cold sensation on the front of my tooth and all over. I asked my orthodontist how that could be? He told me that possibly the nerve was regenerating, maybe the trauma from the braces hadn't been as damaging as we'd first thought. I was thrilled again.But now a few months after that follow-up, I am wondering if maybe the nerve isn't regenerating but is instead in the final throes of dying? Just recently I have been having increasing nerve pain (where I had none before) in that tooth when I eat ice cream (which I do most nights) or just randomly through the day, particularly when I eat. It is a most horrible feeling that gives my scalp goosebumps. Would you have any way of knowing if this the nerve regenerating or the nerve dying off?I am very keen to know, because the last check-up with my orthodontist revealed that the tooth to the right of my front teeth (another tooth with the elastic bracket attached to it) is now not responding to the cold gas test either and appears to be dying as well.Needless to say I'm pretty p***ed off to have spent thousands of dollars for (potentially) two dead – though admittedly, straight – teeth.Thank you for any insight you can provide.I should mention there has never been any sign of infection or inflammation and I am strict with oral hygiene – there is no excuse not to spend 2 minutes twice a day cleaning your teeth!
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/28/2017
Dentist: Just Dental Truths!, Dentist replied 7 months ago
Just Dental Truths!

It sounds like you (sadly) will likely need to get two root canals - ) - : With the color turning blackish, and teeth feeling being strange, it sounds like not a pressing today type of thing, but something that will certainly need to be addressed. Sometimes Orthodontist's "accidentally" move teeth too quick, causing too much trauma. That sounds like the causation for your two teeth.

What would I do?

I'd make a end of the day appointment with your Orthodontist. Express (kindly, but firmly) what has happened. Being very kind, flat out ask him, what he can do to financially make this burden which has seemingly come upon your two teeth/moved by orthodontics? He can't perform the root canals. But, if he or she has a conscience, he'll likely want to assist you. That's what I would attempt to do.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Hi – thanks for your reply. So there's no possibility that the nerve is regenerating since I was recently able to feel a strong cold sensation when last tested when previously I couldn't? And is there no way to help regenerate the nerve at all? Fortunately my orthodontist works within a clinic with cosmetic dentists and the owner has promised to take care of my treatment. If I were to get a root canal, would I eventually down the track need to get the teeth replaced with implants? Or what might happen if the root canals prove ineffective? Many thanks

My primary rational is that the teeth seem to be darker, which is indicating the nerve, arterioles and veinous supply of blood is hindered in or around the two teeth. Once the dark color begins, the color doesn't tend to return. You could have some feeling still, but a more "sure" way to know if the teeth are also abscessing would be to have (periapical) x-rays of the two teeth, showing the root tips. If they're abscessing (dark halo look around the root tips), they'll for certain need a root canal. It's unlikely the nerves are regenerating, possible, but unlikely, and they'll remain dark colored irregardless. So feeling can still be present. Most root canals are done because there is strong pain or hurting emanating from a tooth or teeth. Time is fortunately on your side, as you are NOT hurting badly. If you get root canals, you'll also, in time, want to get the two teeth crowned. But should not need implants - no.

Root canals, especially front teeth work 95%plus of the time. That, in my opinion, is what I would be thinking is what you'll need: (2) root canals, and (2) crowns. I hope that makes sense.

Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist