Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have a sore on my tongue. Should I see a dentist or ENT…

Customer Question
I have a sore...

I have a sore on my tongue. Should I see a dentist or ENT doctor

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Several months

Doctor's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

I can't really see the sore but I can feel the pain when I touch it with my fingernail.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dental
9/27/2017
Dentist: Beth Dorian, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 10 months ago
Beth Dorian
Beth Dorian, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hello, I'm Dr. Dorian, and I'm currently reviewing your question. Be back momentarily!

I know you said that you cannot see the sore, but if you could take a photo of where the sore feels like it is located, that might be helpful.

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being excruciating), what is the pain level when you touch it?

Does it hurt when you're not doing anything?

Has the pain level changed in the months that you've had it?

Also, health history - are you a smoker or tobacco chewer? Also, are you male or female, and what is your age?

All of those answers may have diagnostic implications.

And, to actually answer your question - a dentist is probably a better choice than an ENT doctor. Sorry, I know that's what you asked! If I can't figure it out, I have a many other providers at my disposal that can help me.

I thought my initial $5.00 payment was all that I was going to be charged. I want to cancel my question and have my payment refunded. Thank you.

Hello, Dr. Dorian here again. Maybe I can help this time? I initially opted out when I thought that you no longer wanted to ask this question. But, I'd be happy to help. The same questions do apply. First, I think a dentist is a great choice to evaluate this situation.

However, I won't count that as the answer to your question. ;) I'll make the assumption that you want to try to figure out what is causing this sore. If I am correct in that assumption, I will need a bit more information to offer any meaningful help.

1.) Even though you cannot see the sore, it would still be helpful to get a photo of the area that feels sore.

2.) What is your pain level on a scale of 1-10 when your fingernail touches it? (10 being excruciating)

3.) Do you have pain when nothing is happening to it? Or only when your fingernail touches it? Is there any other pain provoking stimulus?

4.) Has the pain gotten worse over the several months you have had this sore?

5.) Do you smoke, or chew tobacco? (if you're willing to share. )

6.) What is your age and gender (if you're willing to share)

Answers to all of those questions may have diagnostic implications.

I said I want to cancel my question. I do not want to continue. I was asking you to opt out. I have asked Just Answer for a refund. Thank you.

No problem! For some reason the question came through again so I thought that maybe you were moving forward with it. I will opt out. And, if your question pops back up, I will ignore it! :) Have a great day!