Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had a partially done Root Canal, it was stopped before…

I had a partially...

I had a partially done Root Canal, it was stopped before completion because the tooth was infected. I was given an anti-biotic directly on the Infected area and told to come back in 1 month. Should I have been given an oral anti-biotic to be sure that the infection is gone before my next visit?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?

The root canal procedure was last Friday, no swelling, can't chew on that side of the mouth.

Doctor's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

?

Doctor's Assistant: What confuses you?

Nothing, Should I have been given an oral antibiotic to be certain the infection will be gone before my next visit?

9/26/2017
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Good afternoon! That is a great question, and you will actually find different answers from different dentists. Many dentists disagree on whether or not oral antibiotics are strictly necessary for root canal treatment.

Your doctor must fall into the category of those who do not believe it is strictly necessary. The reason this is okay is that the initial phase of the root canal removes all the infected nerve and blood vessel tissue from the inside of the tooth, which is the source of the infection. By placing an antibiotic medication into the chamber, he is ensuring that no infection from the outside of the tooth, works backwards back into the canal. Even if it does, it's not a problem for the endodontist, because the final phase of root canal preparation will also kill any bacteria remaining in the canal.

This philosophy is okay if you are asymptomatic (no pain, swelling, etc....), and the endodontist has reason to believe there is no spread of the infection outside the immediate area of that tooth. Once the infected nerves and blood vessels are removed in that initial phase, your body's immune system is strong enough to remove the infection without the aid of antibiotics in this case.

You will find other doctors who insist that all root canals must be accompanied by oral antibiotics. Trends are slowly changing due to the medical world's overuse of antibiotics and the resistance we are seeing from bacteria to traditional antibiotics.

Does that make sense?

Dr. Lara

They were supposed to finish the Root Canal on Friday with the Crown to follow later. They stopped because of the infection, there was no mention of a 2-phase root canal. So the question remains, should I have been given an oral antibiotic to ensure that when I return to finish the job the infection is gone?

I understand your concern. Especially since the procedure was altered from what you were expecting. Officially I can't say that they should have because that's not something agreed upon among all dentists. I can tell you that I personally would have placed you on some antibiotics.

When you mentioned that you can't chew on that side of the mouth, is that due to pain or discomfort? Or did they ask you not to chew on it?

Dr. Lara

Pain trying not to chew on that side, eating soft foods (mostly), they suggested not to use that side,thanks

Hmmmm, that does change my opinion a bit. Do you feel comfortable calling their office and discussing it with them? If they realize you are having pain on chewing, they would probably prescribe antibiotics. And yes, it would be better to start them before your next visit.

Does that make sense?

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
that answers my questions, thanks
will give you credit, thanks

You're welcome! I am happy to be able to help.

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara