Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Need antibiotics and pain pills for infected tooth.

Customer Question
Need antibiotics and pain...

Need antibiotics and pain pills for infected tooth

Doctor's Assistant: Is the pain consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent

Doctor's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

Tooth has been loose, started hurting yesterday. Now face swollen hot and incredible pain

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dental
9/26/2017
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 8 months ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, sorry you are having this problem now.

You should immediately start using warm salt water rinses: you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. Please do not put any heat on the outside of your face.

For pain you can take 2 Advil (400mg) every 4-6 hours along with 2 Tylenol (650 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication.

The antibiotics of choice for dental infections Amoxicillin 500mg and Clindamycin 300mg.

If you cannot reach your dentist for the antibiotics you can to any urgent care or ER and get an Rx.

Does all this make sense to you??