Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have had a feeling of constantly have to clear my throats…

Customer Question
I have had a feeling...
I have had a feeling of constantly have to clear my throats with the presence of bumps in the back of my throat, that are skin colored and not very noticeable even when touched. Do I have oral hpv?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dental
9/25/2017
Dentist: Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 10 months ago
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, there. Thank you for attaching that picture. From the photo, the bumps do not have the appearance of HPV-type lesions. Typically the virus itself does not show up in bumps until it has begun the process of changing the cells on the surface (which is how it causes oral cancer).

If HPV is present in your body, it typically remains latent (not doing anything or causing any problems) for several years before something like oral cancer starts.

Are you familiar with how the virus is transmitted? Do you feel you are at risk for having this virus? If yes, you are smart to be concerned about this and to keep a close eye on everything.

How long have you been having the throat-clearing issue and the bumps?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

For about 4 months I have had this issue. It all started when I woke up, I had a sore throat, so I shined a light into my throat. On my soft palate was the presence of a red spot, which I felt was a tiny bump. Ever since then I have had trouble clearing my throat and sometimes wake up with sore throats in the morning. It is just very irritating and distracting at times.
Thanks

Okay, thank you for clarifying. It is possible that these could be surface changes on the tissue lining your soft palate from HPV. That would not be my first suspicion unless you were to confirm that you know you have HPV and have had it for at least 2 years. Does that make sense?

I'll message again with some other possibilities.

Dr. Lara

Okay, the other possibilities for bumps on the soft palate (aside from HPV) include salivary gland tumors and fibromas. Fibromas are reactive lesions that happen usually after some type of injury. Do you think there was the possibility of any injury to this area 4 months ago? Even something as minor as scratching your gums with a sharp tortilla chip or cracker?

Has the size of the bumps or the location of them changed at all in the last 4 months?

Dr. Lara

No there is no chance I could have had it 2 years ago or even anytie before 4 months ago.
Anytime
The size has not really changed at all. I can try to get a better picture. I really do not remember it starting out with multiple bumps, just one is what I remember.

Okay, great. It's good to rule out HPV because that's the most dangerous of the possibilities.

Your general health is good? No infections or systemic problems that you know of?

Dr. Lara

Other than that I feel absolutely great! Maybe my anxiety could be getting the best of me? So there's no way it's HPV? That's great news!

If you know that you don't have HPV (please let me know if you want me to give you details about hos that is contracted), it is most likely a salivary tumor or a reactive lesion from some type of injury. It is worth evaluating since it is not normal. I think it is very unlikely that it is oral cancer.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

Well, I know that I wouldn't have contracted HPV 2 years ago, or even before 4 months ago. And if you are saying that HPV only presents it self obvious after years, then yes. Is that what you are saying?
Is it true that almost all individuals get HPV at some point or another?

Yes, typically HPV would not be able to cause oral cancer within just 4 months. And yes, HPV is very widespread, so it is very likely that someone would contract it in their lifetime unless they lived a strict life of celibacy.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

Would you worry too much if you were in my shoes?

No, I would not worry. I would ask both my dentist and my family doctor to evaluate it in person the next time I see them. It is unlikely that you could already have oral cancer from HPV by age 18.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara